200W / Ch Class D vs. 5W / Ch Class A Power Amps

For the past few days I’ve been playing with a home brew IRS2092 based 200W / Ch Class D and a Nelson Pass 5W / Ch Mosfet Class A clone power amp. Apparently this is completely faithful to the original cct.

Using my Quad 34 pre and my 90dB Heco Celan 300 speakers in a tiny room, near field listening.

Whilst by no means scientific (feel free to rip me apart for my lack of technical knowledge), the results amazed / disappointed me.

The Class D Amp absolutely hosed the Class A in every single area, every type of music. Not even close, not in the same universe.

Its quite possible that the pre is a mismatch to the Class A amp, I suppose, or that 5W isn’t enough for 90 dB speakers in a cupboard but what a disappointment.

Feck.

Which Pass amp? is it the amp camp amp?

If your ears say it’s better,then it’s better

4 Likes

Your subjective opinion not coinciding with that of other people really isn’t remarkable. Not having a dig at you, it just isn’t.

That said, 5W is pretty flea-powered for the Celans…

Yep

Those are total shit.

6 Likes

True dat.

1 Like

Drink stronger alcohol.

1 Like

Down with this sort of thing. A common sense and reasonable polite reply is not the AA way. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
You are right though.

1 Like

Pass F5 or Aleph 30 etc are worth a go.

I’ll go for this explanation

1 Like

ACA distortion:

:sob: :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Eek, that is not good.

Maybe.

The Class D also hosed my Snook modded 405-2, my Rega Brio and a Roksan K2 that I borrowed. Was hoping that Class A (maybe this one wasn’t a good choice) would be better.

Tbh, I’m beginning to think that I’ll not better the Class D for do-able money.

THD not the full story. What is the harmonic distribution proto-Serge?

Sh1t ! No wonder, then.

My Aleph 30 sounds great.

No it’s not, 3rd order comes in at about 2w, and there is a good chance he is clipping a lot too at 5w which never sounds good.

Don’t know that clipping came into play. It was plenty loud enough at well less than half volume.

The post potion of a volume dial really means nothing, it will have been clipping.