200W / Ch Class D vs. 5W / Ch Class A Power Amps

Sometimes I overthink things.

I’ve liked every Class-D amp I’ve had - seem to excel in the bass but a bit flat and sterile compared to the best SS / valve amps.

Valve pre with solid state power is the best way to go (until I swap by current set-up anyway):rofl:

I too thought that Class D Amps were supposed to be a bit sterile / emotionless in presentation, but none of that here.

1 Like

Good implementation of one amp type is better than rubbish implementation of other type shock…

1 Like

I really enjoyed a little Trends TA10.1 I had years back (within it’s 5watt usable range), but that was a T amp and nothing to do with this thread.

:+1:

Stereotyping. The Gato DIA250 I had was a lovely amp. No sign of being sterile/emotionless. Just a decent musical integrated amp with plenty of muscle.

I still have one as a back up - amazing how good it is for the size and cost.

1 Like

Yeah I really enjoyed it, and kinda regretted selling it, but still…

Pity you haven’t got the balls to go with it.:smile:

yep.

1 Like

This is my third one. It’s also handy that you can easily switch it from being an integrated to a power amp by removing some jumpers.
I might get it out and give it a try with my Proacs later.:+1:

1 Like

Really ? Thanks for that nugget.

Do you know what the input impedance of the Class D amp is? The Pass design seems to have an input impedance of 10 Kohm & as I understand it the Quad 34’s o/p impedance is not especially low.

I’m not surprised that a Class D design with likely a much much higher damping factor would exercise far more control over the LF than the Pass design here. Aren’t these really intended for use with far more sensitive & benign loads? Is this one of his ‘current source’ circuits?

1 Like

It’s more of a learn how amplifiers work circuit. The documentation is pretty detailed.

Not you. That is the typical reaction: ‘It is not thermionic Class A, therefore it must be shite’.

Bit grumpy this morning aren’t we? Buy yourself some nice coloured vinyl to perk yourself up.

3 Likes

I haven’t read it. I’ll have to take a look.

Reading your OP, I think you kind of already knew Mike. 5W into 90dB sensitivity speakers is going to be a challenge, even in a tiny room. It will struggle to deal with peak power requirements, and given the type of music you like I imagine it’s huffing and puffing a good proportion of the time.

Pot vs. Kettle: Extreme Edition

2 Likes

Fuck off! I’m always very cheerful. You are taking my cheerfulness out of context. Cunt!

:smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah, I guess I did Mark. I just wasn’t prepared for how marked the difference would be. I was sort of hoping that Class A would add something, although I’m not even sure what.

Still I learned something, so not entirely without benefit.