2017 Formula 1 - The next generation

Yes. Your point ?

I was just being a bit of a conspiracy nut thinking that the timing fits in well with the time it would take to get a rival series up and running.

Yeah, I was being a bit obtuse.
In F1, contracts are arbitrary. It wouldn’t matter when the Concorde Agreement expires. Money talks much louder than paper.

It would be a very Bernie thing to do.
Sell all the rights to F1, pocket the dosh and then set it up again partly financed by the payment from Liberty.

Nothing would surprise me Kevin.

2 Likes

I really cannot see any in which Bernie can establish a breakway series, but he can certainly be a royal pain in the arse should he chose to be.

Many of the classic circuits are tied to FOM for longer than the Concorde deal, and who would really chose to put their eggs into an 86 year old crook’s basket?? Certainly not listed companies like Merc and Renault.

Ferrari will bleat and moan about not getting their show-up money, but the ‘money problems’ in F1 are (IMHO) primarily driven by (A) the cost of particpating at a reasonable level and (B) the disparty between payments to the various teams, esp. Ferrari, which inherently skews their chances before they’ve even made it to first testing.

Liberty have intimated that they’ll attempt to fix both issues, which has the handy biproduct of retaining their own revenue stream.

However, I fancy their chances infinitely less when they talk of maintaining the sky high fees for venues while promising greater promotion (though anything, frankly, would be more than Bernie, who did SFA for years) of the event in order to boost the venue’s reveue.

2 Likes

I am not sure how he would do it either.
but if he can bribe his way out of a bribery lawsuit anything is possible.

3 Likes

It’s probably Bernie just ‘posturing’, he always says stuff when he thinks he can earn a quid out of it…

Manors money problems all to clear to see here, they couldn’t afford to manufacture a car big enough.

2 Likes

Ron Dennis is being expunged from McLaren history. And not before time…

Will that make it go quicker?

It’ll have less weight without the MP-4 tacked onto it. So yes :+1:

I don’t understand all this, what did he do?

Back in 1980-ish, his Project 4 organisation (the P4 in MP4) conducted an aggressive takeover of McLaren. Ever since, he has molded the company in HIS image. To hell with anybody else. It’s his way or the highway. He then took great pains to wipe McLaren history away and take credit for starting the company. Ignoring Kiwi Bruce McLaren’s contribution.

Sounds like a current political leader.

That’s interesting, thanks for that. I’d always been under the impression he was a great leader of the company that had a recent spat with the board and was harshly treated.

He was a “Great Leader” in the same way as…

I guess I only had my information from the motoring press (mags like Autocar/Car) which are generally sycophantic.

That’s not unusual for the British motoring press.

Ron was a very unusual guy to work for. Very shy, expected his team to have everything spotless all the time, even if it meant you were doing no actual work to make it look very tidy. Took it personally when people left his team as he could not understand why anyone would want to leave his perfectly managed team. In the end many of the really good people left and the relentless nature of McLaren has clearly not been there since 2013 and it doesn’t look like it is coming back, with the current technical leadership not operating at the level that it used to when the likes of Pat Fry, Adrian Newey, Gordon Murray etc were there.

3 Likes