2017 Formula 1 - The next generation

But then occasionally one of them doesn’t want to play ball and wants to just take the race if he can see he can win it?

I’m rather looking forward to what comes next; they certainly seem - time will tell - to have a refreshing approach to how the sport should be run, and anything which puts Marchione’s nose out of joint has to be a good thing.IMHO

Seering as Ross Brawn seems set on simplyfying the rule book, do any of our resident spanner monkeys have a treatise on which they’d build the new F1?

IRC Frank has long adhered to a “sod talking about aero, give them rock hard tyres which have to last the race” - I rather like that, TBH.

While it was admittedly bobbins on TV, one lap quali introduced some differentials on the grid and - theoretically - sperated the men from the boys.

Any other ideas to improve the racing ?

Yeah., So I got that bit wrong :-/ Jesus F Christ, can he not just bugger off??

The response today when an F1 luminary was asked privately how Mr E was doing: "He's setting-up a breakaway series". Don't laugh.

— Peter Windsor (@PeterDWindsor) January 25, 2017

Interesting. Have also been told by a trusted source they expect Ecclestone to fight back v Liberty - with a breakaway series by 2019 https://t.co/yzxWsYlcqo

— Andrew Benson (@andrewbensonf1) January 26, 2017

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/F1-Slot-car-track-corner-626x416.png

1 Like

Ha ha, quite. Bet we’d still watch it though

Rob Smedley takes on more of a longer term development role:

http://en.f1i.com/news/87532-smedleys-role-williams-include-longer-term-development.html

As the person who played a lot of politics to get other people removed, this is not surprising. But it still frustrates me that the Williams leadership cannot see through the politics being played, as all the evidence suggests that Williams got rid of the odd person that does understand vehicle performance and nobody has provided me any evidence to suggest that Smedley does.

It maybe that he will just lead some projects and empower people that do understand vehicle performance, so it could sill start to turn things round for Williams…

This has always annoyed be about ALL business. When it comes to management, if you simply get on and do a great job, you are generally overlooked because somebody else tells everybody how good they are and how poorly everybody else is performing.

2 Likes

Bugger…

Bugger, indeed.

The silence from the administrator was largely encouraging as it at least meant that they were talking to sonebody. Seems the owner wanted more than they buyer would pay. A crappy way for it to end.

Bugger…not good :frowning:

I suspect they were talking to the new F1 operators, hoping for a sub, or a massive change in how the teams were funded…

Shame…

How’s it work now then, do they auction off the cars and equipment etc?

It’d be no good Rob, no room for transporting a pavlova…
I do fancy having one though, with a sticker on saying “my other car is a Volvo”.

2 Likes

Exactly how I see it. Too many people get on in companies by playing the spin game in all the companies that I have worked in.

1 Like

It’s not what you are, it’s what you appear to be.

Yes. The money then goes to creditors. Often the cars are sold to collectors and the rest gets bought by racing concerns.

A great shame, and whilst there are rumours of a deal still being worked on, I am hearing that the some of the good staff that work in my field (some of them I employed at Honda F1 or Mercedes F1) are taking jobs elsewhere.

I wonder if Liberty may have created substantial goodwill by supporting a potential purchaser. But I suppose they are still keeping things at arms length.

So there IS a planned breakaway series then.

Ferrari won’t want to give up all their bonuses so they’ll follow whatever Bernie decides.

Doesn’t the current deal with the teams run out in 2020?