2018 Formula 1

2 Likes

:thinking:

Coswirth out of the running unless a OEM bankrolls it’s effort.

Tenner says the same applies to Aston Martin but they’re far too much enjoying the (free publicity) attention to fess up

2 Likes

Hi Craig,

I was also given Adrian Newey’s book at Christmas. I wasn’t going to buy it as he has generally worked for a competitor that I do not like (RBR) but I did briefly work for him at McLaren, and in the end was pleased that someone purchased it for me.

It was an interesting read to see who he mentioned and who he didn’t. More interesting to me was that he mentioned the basics of vehicle performance, clearly thinking that everyone who works in vehicle performance understands the concept. But in my experience, most people who work in vehicle performance do not.

I am looking forwards to this season as there are potentially some very good battles. The 3 Renault engined teams should have a good fight. Mercedes, RBR and Ferrari should have a close battle. Sauber are looking to be competing with Haas, Torro Rosso and getting much closer to Williams.

Ian

3 Likes

The recent Technical directive limiting ride height change with steer was brought in as some teams were really exploiting it. Basically as you steer the front wheels you can through changing where the pushrod is mounted, ensure that the front ride height drops as a function of steering angle. The lower front right height will then reduce the understeer that you inevitably get mid corner. And is therefore beneficial. It is not a free lunch and there are problems that it causes, but it is something that I am sure each team is considering utilising, if they haven’t already. Clearly the more you exploit it, the more benefit you will get, but the remedial measure that you require, will become ever more complicated to balance out the downsides.

3 Likes

The Kubica comeback dream is officially over…

Roberts gets a Reserve/Development driver role.

That’s a shame.

1 Like

2018 F1 launch dates so far;

Williams: 15 February
Red Bull: 19 February
Renault: 20 February
Sauber: February 20
Ferrari: February 22
Mercedes: February 22
McLaren: February 23
Force India: 25 February
Toro Rosso: February 25

2 Likes

I sooo wish this colour scheme is accurate…

Unlikely but whoaaaah :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

It does look very good indeed.

1 Like

Sexy.

Unfortunately for Robert Kubica he was around a second slower than either driver he was competing with for the drive at Williams or at Renault F1.

Sounds like a combination of the after effects of his crash and being too long out of an F1 car meant that he lost enough performance to put him out of contention.

As an aside he was driving the Mercedes F1 simulator a 4 or 5 years ago to help the team during race events and for him to get back into driving an F1 car fast, without having to go testing.

1 Like
2 Likes

Updated

1 Like

2018 Formula 1 entry list

44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
77 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes
5 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
7 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
3 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault
33 Max Verstappen Red Bull-Renault
11 Sergio Perez Force India-Mercedes
31 Esteban Ocon Force India-Mercedes
18 Lance Stroll Williams-Mercedes
35 Sergey Sirotkin Williams-Mercedes
27 Nico Hulkenberg Renault
55 Carlos Sainz Jr Renault
10 Pierre Gasly Toro Rosso-Honda
28 Brendon Hartley Toro Rosso-Honda
8 Romain Grosjean Haas-Ferrari
20 Kevin Magnussen Haas-Ferrari
2 Stoffel Vandoorne McLaren-Renault
14 Fernando Alonso McLaren-Renault
9 Marcus Ericsson Sauber-Ferrari
16 Charles Leclerc Sauber-Ferrari

Updated

1 Like

Hopefully they will have all come up with wacky design solutions…

(no they won’t have, they will all look awful and boring with halos on)

1 Like

Launch Season is go, go, go !!!

Sadly, though not unexpected, there are no real surprises here…

Meh…

I’m hoping it’s a “pre-test” mule and they’ll actually race something with guns and thrusters :pray:

1 Like