5687 /6072 recommendations

Do you think the rectifier can have any influence on the sound, at all?

Or a 7044

Yes
Without any doubt
Yes

1 Like

This is like Numberwang. I canā€™t believe Iā€™m considering a venture into valve amplification if this is the kind of shit I need to learn aboutā€¦ :scream:

Donā€™t sit on the fence :smile:

Iā€™ve never really considered swapping that out

Is it a GZ34?

6x4

Check to see if thereā€™s a Philips/Mullard factory code on them.

VB

Have been trying different rectifier valves in the Modwright and they make more of a difference than rolling the 6sn7ā€™s.

The GZ34 is better by miles than the others Iā€™ve tried so far.

Gz37s work well in the amp.

In the Modwright Transporter I like the crazy Emission Labs. Preferred it to a Mullard GZ34.

Any views on 6072s. Are these more influential than 5687s

Need a matched pair

As long as the extra 1A filament current doesnā€™t fry the mains tranny :slight_smile:

Kevin likes the triple mica types, but u will need to remortgage to get a matched pair

I like the Sylvania black plates

1 Like

And there is enough headroom in the rack, obviously :grinning:.

VB

1 Like

I tried a GZ37 in the modwright but there was no improvement over the GZ34 so Iā€™ve now got the 37 in the power amp but again there was no difference with the Sylvania black plates Simon had fitted.

A few people have cut a hole in the cover of the LS100 to accommodate the GZ37 but Iā€™m not keeping it so just left the cover off (which makes the 6sn7 extremely microphonic)

Bit of research and I have the triple mica types.

Numpty question but how often do you change these valves ? Are there audible signs that they are degrading ?

Thanks for advice

Try changing them occasionally. If a veil was lifted, they neededā€‹ changing :+1:

1 Like

More seriously, they normally work ok until they break, so relax about it.

Is there no degradation before they break ?

Is it recommended to test valves from time to time ? There is a lot of fuss made about having a matched pair when you buy them, is this just foo / placebo :smile: I assume after a period of time they no longer match as wear differently.

I really appreciate the advice from the experts on here.

Assuming they are a good strong pair when installed they should last several years of normal useage I would think, unless something about the amp circuit is really stressing them.

But as your amp was built by badgers anything is possible.:stuck_out_tongue: