AAAC 4th April - Mercury Rev - Yerself Is Steam

Forum glitches, looks like someones been tinkering so save your work before it disappears again

Thanks MJ2, just need Terry to give it the thumbs up now.:roll_eyes:

Got more chance of him buying K-Tels new Best of Dub Reggae compilation release :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very one trick pony, the guy can’t sing which I find really annoying, singing flat and off key. Sort of reminds me of the late 1980’s style ‘difficult’ bands with lo-fi sound. All feedback and no actual song.

Sorry.

There are two different vocalists depending on what track it is?

I’d hardly call it one trick but I fully understand why some people would find it hard going - even I tend not to play the last track,

Hmmm, unlikely.

This was not what I was…no, it’s exactly what I was suspecting. Rarely has any “mainstream” band described as sounding a bit “prog” actually sounded a bit Prog. There is nothing here that sounds proggy. The reference to Pink Floyd is tenuous, at best. Having voices and noises leading into the music does not Pink Floyd make.
The Prog aspect aside, it’s just a shit Indy band with a dodgy anti-singer. The Grunge-y stuff was limp, the Rock wasn’t and I have no idea what Shoe-gaze is but this isn’t it.

Poor effort.

I quite liked it but I wouldn’t say he can’t sing. It reminds me a lot of the flaming lips and the beta band with the singer have a hint of Lou Reed’s vocal style.

It was ok but not one I’d probably dig out to listen again.

I wasn’t a big fan of this when it came out and I’m afraid I haven’t changed my views on it, despite owning a copy since not long after the rave review in NME. It is dull, it isn’t worthy. It is just mediocre.

I really like Deserter’s Songs but I can’t find a single positive thing to say about this.

I didn’t like Deserters Songs at all - found it very dull.

Just goes to show we all like different things.

1 Like

I’d echo htm_1968 above.

Never really bothered with this lot. Listening to this, I can understand why. Noisy without being exiting, not especially great melodies. Mostly doesn’t add up to enough, for me.

On the plus side, I did like the music on track 4 and they had a sound there that could have gone somewhere, but I could have done without the comedy vocals. Track 6 had its moments too. Decent guitar on last track.

Plus I can appreciate its scope and ambition. Can understand why it made a splash at the time.

Reasonable.

Didn’t get very far with this, 2 or 3 tracks in before I turned it off. Sounds like a very shit Ocean Colour Scene to me.

This is the second AAAC I’ve listened to. Four tracks in and I like it. Four songs and it already feels varied. I like the singing.

1 Like

Clearly a man of taste.:+1:t2:

1 Like

Many of the tracks have thrashy guitars and shouty vocals - nah, not my cup of char.

This seemed to be a bit noisy when I listened to it and to be fair I wasn’t particularly in the mood. The Missus was getting a bit annoyed with it too, so I turned it off. I meant to give it another go but haven’t really felt like it.

I liked Deserters Songs at the time but whenever I try their other stuff, I am always underwhelmed. I find The Flaming Lips like that too…

I can imagine having to turn some of it off at times, I’m like that with a lot of stuff that I claim to like :slight_smile:
I liked this when listening though. I think it was @unclepuncle who served up Dinosaur Jr on the WAC and I really liked that so maybe I should take more notice of the little girly shit he posts in the listening to now thread (I think I have that right), I might like it!

1 Like

Doubt it.

2 Likes

Bit of a nostalgia trip for me is this one. I recall hazy days in the sunshine, smoking and joking, while the hours passed by under sweet Morroccan clouds. Dusk passes, and all of a sudden it is my turn to go to the 24-hour garage.

Thanks for the reminders. I’d forgotten about the bong collection and the marathon sessions of Python & Fawlty, the times when you’d forgotten why you were laughing, but most of all the shared joy of life and its bonkers soundtrack.

2 Likes