AAAC - Tues 6th Dec, IQ - The Road Of Bones

I had to pull myself together

Stupid me I actually forced myself to actually listen to this. God itā€™s shite.

1 Like

Iā€™m taking this in stages. Half an hour a day. I calculate I should be finished by next April.

The first half hour was pretty turgid. Itā€™s very serious. Itā€™s very prog.

We do get a decent bit for the chorus on track one (2.20 using YouTube timings). Sadly it only occurs a couple of times and only last a few seconds.

I persevered but it wears you down. Hence my decision to limit the daily exposure.

So I have enjoyed about 30 seconds out of 35 minutes. To be honest, thatā€™s not a great hit rate and itā€™s not looking promisingā€¦

Hmm, it opens with the ubiquitous Bram Stokerā€™s Dracula sample. Not a good sign.

Iā€™m still trying to recover from The Road of Bones which was extraordinary :smirk:. This week we have @stu fronting up to the butchersā€™ chopping block :innocent:

Tried listening to this last night and lasted about 1 minute, in case it was just the first track I tried skipping to the next and so on but no I hate it.

I want to know who the geezer on the front is telling to be quiet :angry:

Possibly the A&R dude from the label who released this thing. He is clearly either incompetent or deaf.

I fuckinā€™ hate you lot :rage:

1 Like

Or just a tasteless dumb cunt :smile:

1 Like

Jesus, Terry. You absolute bastard.

1 Like

What would you expect ?

1 Like

It reminds me of so many other albums, itā€™s not offensive, but itā€™s completely unoriginal and tardy.

1980ā€™s sound & over long.

This is diabolical.

The first problem is that the singer is bad, with a slightly bizarre Bruce Dickinson affectation. I wouldnā€™t say heā€™s copying him, as that would be placing too much merit on his efforts.

What compounds things is that the lyrics are shocking. Combined with the tragic delivery, this makes for some genuine lol moments.

These two problems put them in the same bracket as Guilt Machine and Steven Wilson. All terrible singers spaffing out pompously earnest lyrics.

The music manages to be be tedious and jarring at the same time. There is NO innovation, just a few random snippets chucked together. Take the title track: an 8:30 snoreathon they have no idea how to end, until the keyboard player plays some random electronic xylophone. For no reason.

The next track, a 19 minute effort, ironically has no progression at all. Just 7 or so random bits of noodling shabbily stitched together.

Disc 2 will forever remain a mystery. I was done after the first.

Appalling.
-4 out of 6.

4 Likes

If anything, your damning of this turgid codswallop is still too generous.

1 Like

Looks like the season for giving is upon us and everyone is giving it to Terry. :grin:

This is bang on!

I gave this a listen as thought it couldnā€™t be as bad as everyone was making out. I thought it was a bit of a joke as it was Terryā€™s choice butā€¦no joke.

Thank fuck.

It appears to be meme timeā€¦

Just ignoring the hyperbole for a minute, youā€™ve pretty much encapsulated why I like Prog. Unlike the bands themselves, I donā€™t take it seriously. There are some proper cringe-worthy lyrics and vocal performances but itā€™s usually underpinned by (more often than not) complex and/or interesting instrumentation. Convoluted, self-indulgent, pompous, overblown, and noodly are all positives in my world.

As stated in the OP, this is Vocal driven Prog. I agree it can be a bit earnest and ā€œtry hardā€.
It was never going to please everyone/anyone. But I like it.

5 Likes