AAAC Tuesday 29th November - Ross Ainslie & Jorlath Henderson: Airfix

This could be just in time for Olan’s desire to return to his roots, No flutes, but featuring windy things.
Jarlath Henderson is a busy and talented man, being a full time medic as well as a remarkable player of the Uillean pipes. Ross Ainslie is gaining a reputation as a fine piper and composer. This is their second album together, joined by other musicians to add backing to the pipes (Uillean and Northumbrian) and whistles. There are a couple of songs on here, unlike the first CD, but I’m not over keen on the vocals - perhaps they will get a better singer to join for future works?
Get your feet tapping… the whole album can be played from their site:
http://www.rossandjarlath.com/uncategorized/hello-world/

Thanks, should have added that in the OP

Well, that sounding like folk, to me. Does Smalls still have a fit when it’s folk? We’ll be finding out…

Think he’s still busy digging the ditch and building the rampart round his new place. Had thought about Pyewackett’s This Crazy Paradise to encourage neighbourly bonhomie, but my recording sounds a bit odd.
At least there’s a bass on Airfix. :grinning:

1 Like

I’m looking forward to this as The Dubliner were as awful as remembered :poop::poop::poop:

Think this will be a bit different to the DuDus and hopefully enjoyable but who knows, it may help vent your spleen. :smile:

Did someone mention the Dubliners? I have only had the briefest sample of this and it seems to me this is shandy to the Dubliners’ whiskey.

Though I presume this is Scottish. Similar. Funny how the Welsh don’t do stuff like this…

Anyway, it did remind me of Planxty at times so I’ll give it a chance.

champagne rather than shandy, I’d have said

I love this. It just pumps, kicks, and has a groove like Larry Graham’s bottom.
And that bass solo followed by a reprised finger tapping fret wank guitar just does it for me.
Not only that, but Daniel Sadownick’s percussion’s completely crazed!
9.5/10.

1 Like

G[quote=“LeonardSmalls, post:10, topic:459”]
I love this. It just pumps, kicks, and has a groove like Larry Graham’s bottom.
And that bass solo followed by a reprised finger tapping fret wank guitar just does it for me.
Not only that, but Daniel Sadownick’s percussion’s completely crazed!
9.5/10.
[/quote]

I think you are fibbing and this is really a single word review.

I think he’s been listening to too much Taylor Swift again. He must be really isolated down there…

2 Likes

I’m only a mile from a town now…
And there’s allegedly metal going on in them thar pubs!
I also have a vague feeling I might have listened to my next choice for the album club as this one was just diddleyfuckindumdeediddleydumdefuckindee.

1 Like

It’s the reel/jigs (stuff like track 2 and 4) that remind me of Planxty (cos they did it too).

The rest sounds like a movie soundtrack. An earthy movie, lots of beautiful green scenery.

Pretty bland. Impossible to get excited about. Much of it is too sweet and sickly. Lacks the misty-eyed beauty I presume they were aiming for.

I think 1970s hard-drinking men with beards did this sort of thing a lot better.

Sure, Planxty were a great band and there are plenty more good Celtic sounds around.

What I like about this, though, is the combination of Uillean and Northumbrian pipes, and the interplay between them. Very different sound to strings!!
Also, it’s good to see younger players coming through and bringing a new freshness to the music, as the 70s bands did at that time.
Certainly wouldn’t call it all bland - try the last track, for instance.

Anyway, folkophobes can breathe easy because it looks as if we’ll be back to normal in AAAC next week…

Sorry but this is one of those albums that works well live in a pub with a few beers but just leaves me cold standing on its own merits. 1/5

Bagpipes are OK in military bands for 10 minutes, otherwise, meh. Don’t like this much, not my cup of earl grey.

Didn’t even think I would bother listening to this as just not my scene, but in the spirit etc, I did.

Wish I hadn’t !

Damn you for reviving this AAAC. I’m going to have to listen to it now as I missed it the first time :angry:

Just think of the pipes as complicated flutes…