AAAC: Tuesday Nov 1st - Brian Jonestown Massacre: Third World Pyramid

Due to my advancing senility I mixed this lot up with the Jim Jones Revue. I was wondering when it was going to get going until I realised I had entirely the wrong artist(e)s.

Ehhh, not really my cup of tea, sorry. Needs moar wailing guitars.

I like BJM early stuff so will have a listen to this when I’m home tomorrow.

Anton Newcombe is an awkward cuss though and can be very hit and miss. Entertaining band live though when they’re on their game.

1 Like

Tedious wank.
Twas like the bastard lovechild of a threesome consisting of Snow Patrol, Keane and the Waterboys where they’re all playing trains and listening to “Sergeant Pepper’s”.
Not in an offensive way, or in an interesting way; just in a “those boys are at it again throw a fuckin bucket of water over them they’re putting me off me dinner” sort of way.

2 Likes

S’OK. I’ve heard far worse from fellow Butchers. Prolly won’t make the playlist though.

Not as good as their “Their Satanic Majesties”… "Space Girl … etc period. As crimdonk above, I like BJM’s more whacky earlier stuff.

I’ve just scored a full house on Leonard Smalls Bullshit Bingo.

3 Likes

I was waiting for a ‘Bootsy’ on mine. Never came. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

In reply to Tory Boy and Nottage:

2 Likes

Yawn.

I’ve been enjoing this, this week. I have always ignored BJM probably becase of their name, which is a bit stupid really! Good to see a lengthy back catalogue to get my teeth into… Thanks Olan!

This was (obviously) a rushed choice on my part. I was given a copy on the day after release and had a quick listen before posting it on grounds that it was new and somewhat interesting. I’m pretty much in agreement with most of the posts on the thread. It doesn’t rock, it is not the BJM’s finest hour, but it is alright.

I’m not sure that’s what the majority verdict has been🤔

1 Like

If anyone’s at all curious then there’s a compilation called Tepid Peppermint or something which is a much better intro to BJM or give Methodrone a listen.

You are entitled to an opinion, even if it is wrong. :kissing_heart:

Tepid Peppermint Wonderland Volumes 1 and 2. Take It From The Man and Who Killed Sgt Pepper? are also quite OK.

Jackie and I were talking about BJM tonight as she gave me the record the other day. I seem to have accumulated a large number of their records (something like 16 LPs) and rarely listen to them at all. Yo La Tengo are the same, LPs are just good enough to merit purchase, but don’t seem to get lots of long term plays.

Just realised that I didn’t write a review despite having listened to it twice. The problem is that i can’t remember a thing about it either good or bad!

1 Like

Slack bastard! It is your turn next too, so feel free to not be two weeks late!! :smiley:

1 Like

My chosen album is ready for tomorrow for you lot to ridicule. :smiley:

Great. Now please stop bumping the moribund carcass of my AAAC thread so it will disappear in the fullness of time.

:cry:

I gave it another go, lasted 2 minutes before I was distracted by the paint drying.

1 Like

It must be meme time. I shall deploy this one having dusted it off specially for you:

1 Like