Another LCR phono (aka BTJ-9000S)

Yes, hand soldering is unlikely to look as nice. Messy wiring can also be better in terms of coupling - mice looms look great, but promote capacitive coupling.

I think your mice looms would promote plug and socket coupling.

1 Like

Nice solder joints are possible by hand but leaded solder is a must.

Not necessarily, I have some that flows as well as leaded, and Pete sent me some he uses which works just as well - both fairly high silver content too. :+1:

Always worth a clean afterwards - even so-called fluxless.

Interesting - Can you tell me what the friendly lead free solder is?

Can’t tell you the stuff I use on here, 'cos I sell it. Feel free to email me…

Dunno whether @coco wants what he uses to be shared - ineffable mysteries of the Mystic Orient and all that - so I’ll leave that up to him.

Moar silver :star_struck:

3 Likes

No secret: https://www.rapidonline.com/rapid-lead-free-sn-cu-ag-ni-ge-solder-22swg-0-7mm-0-5kg-85-6634

I do prefer 62/36/2 Sn/Pb/Ag eutectic, though.

The Viablue Paul sells is very nice.

1 Like

I use the WBT lead free for new stuff and WBT lead for repairs of old stuff. Both are really easy to work with provided iron can go hotter for the lead free.

I have a bunch if other lead free silver loaded solders if anybody wants to try them.

I am sure there must be some other lead free solders that are good to work with, but life’s too short

U ok hun?

1 Like

sik ov al th snaeks on hear babe!!! :frowning:

2 Likes

You must be thinking of a different site.

Cheers for the lead free suggestions, much appreciated.
I was a broadcast wire man for close to 10 years and never came across a nice lead free solder (probably because it was supplied to us…read cheap)
All the wire men used to use there own supplied leaded solder on the sly and bin the crap.

2 Likes

Heater wiring…

Foo resistors…

Wiring R part of LCR network…

CR part of LCR network…

12 Likes

Are they Charcroft foil resistors?

Texas, but the same thing. Vishay bulk foil.

2 Likes

Same price as Charcroft? Coz they’re a bloody fortune!

About £10 each. Cheaper than the AN silver Tantalums in the rest of the circuit - those are £40 each.

FFS :astonished::astonished:

You know when I said I couldn’t afford to build one for myself? That wasn’t a joke!

2 Likes