Any old Pics - replicating google images, one post at a time (Part 1)

too

Anything over too ft is to high

12 Likes

It is two :+1:

2 Likes

Anything over too ft is two high

4 Likes

I thought youā€™d reply too that, it was two tempting. Iā€™m guilty of the same to though

2 Likes

I remember my first jump into the cold, green waters of Holcombe Quarry. Running towards the edge of the drop, heart thumping and adrenaline flowing, thinking ā€œovercome the fearā€. It was a weird conflict of thought and emotion.

Brain says, ā€œDanger! Danger!ā€.
Ego says, ā€œFuck it!ā€

The lowest drop there was about 25ā€™, with the highest being almost twice that. A great way to spend a hot summer day with like-minded mates.

2 Likes

KHaSu1521960600

My fear of heights is odd. Iā€™m not too bad a few metres up a ladder, just a bit nervous of the pain that would ensue - reasonably rational, but with some unnecessary fear. A bit higher than that and Iā€™m actually OK - I used to have a roof terrace that was well over 10m, a likely death fall height, and I could happily lean over that and quite enjoy it.

But at serious heights over 100m (such as the Petronas Towers a few years ago), looking down can strike a deep fear, which almost makes me freeze. Even though death is just as certain, the prospect of having a fair time to consider it seems to freak me out.

Not a picture but a short film from 1962 about the building of the UKā€™s bypasses.

The good old days before health and safety was invented.

2 Likes

When H&S = a flat cap :+1: :heart:

1 Like

:ok_hand:

1 Like

There are still far too many good people killed and injured at work because suitable control measures are not used (harnesses, lifelines etc) when working at height.

You wouldnā€™t be joking about it if it was a friend or relative of yours, would you?

2 Likes

I assumed that was implicit based on what Iā€™d said.

Obviously not.

Yeah sorryā€¦Itā€™s one subject i feel very strongly about

high horses r usā€¦:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

The comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Although, at times, I do think that the pendulum has swung too far.

HSE stats say otherwiseā€¦:+1:

1 Like

Iā€™m sympathetic. A mate of mine - a tiler and one of the most friendly, decent people I know - was persuaded to work on a job with half-finished scaffolding. He stepped back instinctively at one point and went off the end. So much of him was broken that they didnā€™t think heā€™d live. Heā€™s made a remarkable recovery, indeed heā€™s back working on roofs. Heā€™ll never be quite the same again though.

VB

I understand that weā€™re a great deal better at safety now, but folks might be surprised about the workplace impact on health.

VB

Yep, the current big push from the HSE is occupational disease - far too many folk have their lives shortened by shit they breath in at work over a long periodā€¦

I think it should still go further. Sure it might feel a bit nanny state, snowflake or whatever disparaging term one fancies, but it seems reasonable that people should be entitled to a long and healthy life. A reduction in productivity (=ownerā€™s profit) seems a fair price IMO.

3 Likes