Any old Pics

too

Anything over too ft is to high

It is two :+1:

Anything over too ft is two high

I thought you’d reply too that, it was two tempting. I’m guilty of the same to though

I remember my first jump into the cold, green waters of Holcombe Quarry. Running towards the edge of the drop, heart thumping and adrenaline flowing, thinking “overcome the fear”. It was a weird conflict of thought and emotion.

Brain says, “Danger! Danger!”.
Ego says, “Fuck it!”

The lowest drop there was about 25’, with the highest being almost twice that. A great way to spend a hot summer day with like-minded mates.

KHaSu1521960600

My fear of heights is odd. I’m not too bad a few metres up a ladder, just a bit nervous of the pain that would ensue - reasonably rational, but with some unnecessary fear. A bit higher than that and I’m actually OK - I used to have a roof terrace that was well over 10m, a likely death fall height, and I could happily lean over that and quite enjoy it.

But at serious heights over 100m (such as the Petronas Towers a few years ago), looking down can strike a deep fear, which almost makes me freeze. Even though death is just as certain, the prospect of having a fair time to consider it seems to freak me out.

Not a picture but a short film from 1962 about the building of the UK’s bypasses.

The good old days before health and safety was invented.

When H&S = a flat cap :+1: :heart:

:ok_hand:

There are still far too many good people killed and injured at work because suitable control measures are not used (harnesses, lifelines etc) when working at height.

You wouldn’t be joking about it if it was a friend or relative of yours, would you?

I assumed that was implicit based on what I’d said.

Obviously not.

Yeah sorry…It’s one subject i feel very strongly about

high horses r us…:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

The comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Although, at times, I do think that the pendulum has swung too far.

HSE stats say otherwise…:+1:

I’m sympathetic. A mate of mine - a tiler and one of the most friendly, decent people I know - was persuaded to work on a job with half-finished scaffolding. He stepped back instinctively at one point and went off the end. So much of him was broken that they didn’t think he’d live. He’s made a remarkable recovery, indeed he’s back working on roofs. He’ll never be quite the same again though.

VB

I understand that we’re a great deal better at safety now, but folks might be surprised about the workplace impact on health.

VB

Yep, the current big push from the HSE is occupational disease - far too many folk have their lives shortened by shit they breath in at work over a long period…

I think it should still go further. Sure it might feel a bit nanny state, snowflake or whatever disparaging term one fancies, but it seems reasonable that people should be entitled to a long and healthy life. A reduction in productivity (=owner’s profit) seems a fair price IMO.