[Archive] What are you listening to?

Chris, I’ve no Jan Gabarek at all.
When you’ve got a minute or two, could you recommend me something please?

LP

2 Likes

1 Like

I like Officium.

Officium +1

I also like Ragas & Sagas and Madar which are collaborations with musicians from Pakistan and Tunisia.

Ha ha just thinking that in the mid nineties my first exposure to JG was like many others Officium with the Hilliard ensemble. Sadly an album that I can no longer properly enjoy due to too much over exposure as after dinner or polite conversation background music…I mean really, really done to death!! Although it is actually a good album with Garbareks soaring sonorous tone & ability to take flight with the music well evident.

For my money a fairly good place to start would be with these two offerings from the ECM label.

http://www.coverdude.com/covers/jan-garbarek-works-front-cover-40768.jpg

This is a nice 8 track sampler of around 52 mins, covering some of his output on the label & hangs together quite well I think. This is often pricey new. However Momox who sell on Amacuntz usually have copies quite frequently s/hand for little money. Quite a few other sellers too usually but I quite rate Momox because their grading tends to be consistently reliable & accurate. I’ve never returned owt bought from 'em yet & despite being based in Germany they are quick on delivery too. Music Magpie here in the UK are pretty good generally too.

This 3 disc/album box set is also fantastic & can still be had for under £15 BNIB. You are still safe getting Works to accompany this too, as there is only one track duplicated across both sets.

Deer Wan by Kenny Wheeler is also an excellent album featuring Garbarek & well worth getting.

I don’t want to burden you with a silly amount of recommendations reet now as I could easily suggest a few more.

However he has also recorded quite extensively with George Russell from the beginning of Garbareks own career, so this is also a very worthy avenue to investigate too as there are some real classic albums here!!

Electronic Sonata for Souls Loved by Nature is a stone cold classic & there is also a later version of this album too. Trip to Prillarguri also features Garbarek & also a couple of others here IIRC.

This cheapo George Russell set is a great accompaniment to the above set.

I’ve also bought Mnemosyne recently which is another two CD box-set outing for Garbarek with the Hilliard ensemble, which I found myself greatly enjoying.

Edit I meant Deer Wan by Kenny Wheeler…now fixed

1 Like

That would be most kind Pete :+1:

Totes smitten by this. Fabulous!!

CDR2F.

Hills - S/T Uncollected Sounds

LP

3 Likes

You can’t possibly like this Olan. It has uber flutery !

There is nothing Hills have released that I don’t own or like. Granted there are flutes, but Spiritualized and Spacemen 3 also deploy the odd flute hear and there. It is the flute/prog/standing on one leg gurning bollocks that lingers from 1974 that really needs sorting out IMHO.

Meanwhile

Ovoc

Pfft ! Feckin’ hypocrite :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Guilty as charged yer honour. Now feck off :angry:

2 Likes

LOL!!

Fair comment !

Feck off :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We take a far firmer line on pan pipes though. We operate a strictly no pan pipes policy here despite flagrant attempts by Goat to ignore common sense.

They can fuck right off with their pan pipes and cod-folk bollocks.

and Psychic Lemon and … ? and … ?

Could you clarify who you are aiming this LOL! at please in case I need to deploy a meme at you…

1 Like