Armchair politics

Have they ?

No, but in a gesture of unprecedented munificence they are going to make the helpline, which currently charges some of the most vulnerable people in the UK 55p per minute, free.

I’d love to have been at the meeting where it was decided that a premium rate phoneline was an appropriate means for very poor people to use to find out when the fuck they were going to get their money, you know, just to get an idea of how that level of cuntishness is arrived at.

7 Likes

The motion calling on the government “to pause the roll-out of Universal Credit” was passed. Speaker Bercow wasn’t happy. We shall see.

So, in theory, possibly but realistically, unlikely ?

I think the roll-out of universal credit has hit the buffers for now because May is impotent against any backbench disagreement. Which there is on this. There’s no point pressing forward where a commons majority isn’t assured. Weak government and there’ll be much more of it.

Government (executive). Parliament (legislature and scrutiny). Does the government need new legislation for this ? If not then in the short term they only need to worry about losing a confidence vote (seems unlikely) or about the Tory party defenestrating the PM over it (also seems unlikely, given the consequences - Johnson, Gove, Davis, Rees-Mogg etc).

VB

I wonder what the constitutional ramifications of the Government simply ignoring the vote would be. This seems to be the focus of Bercow’s displeasure. The House of Commons voted overwhelmingly against the current olicy, so there are quite serious issues at play.

There are people in the government who would regard Bercow’s displeasure as the cherry on the cake.

VB

Agreed. But those same people can’t be seen to be holding the Speaker of The House, let alone The House itself in contempt. In a representative democracy like ours, the Government needs to take note of the will of the people as expressed by their representatives.

Noted.

VB

1 Like

Fair enough. There is a long history of treating non-binding votes as non-binding isn’t there?

:confounded:

1 Like

Yes, there is :confused:

Apart from the Brexit referendum, of course…

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Have you actually woken up yet @Jim?

1 Like

There’s double entendre, there’s single entendre… And then sometimes there’s no entendre at all… :rofl:

You mean like the cunt representing my constituency (Peter Lilley, Hitchin and Harpenden) voting for Brexit despite the result being for remain here.

1 Like

It’s hard to stay awake with all you cunts going on…and on…and on…

3 Likes

You would hope this matter will be raised with him (any any others like him) repeatedly each and every time he visits the constituency and particularly during any elections that might happen soon.

1 Like

Off to sleep then Dozy…

1 Like