Armchair politics

4 Likes

The last Brexit story on the BBC news was three days ago. Mission accomplished©

5 Likes

I assume the other 4 independent labs they use have confirmed the chemical analysis?

If so, 4 out of 5 is evidence enough, surely. I note Lavrov hasn’t contested that the other results are good.

Oh FFS Guy stop reading the absolute bollocks maxflinn keeps posting on pfm, he’s a fucking david icke parroting thundercunt with mental issues.

4 Likes

More derp that I would have though possible:

This’ll whip the mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging, hard-of-thought, Mail readers into a frenzy. Salisbury aside, I wonder what the real purpose of all of this scare-mongering is?

18893193_1366241893491012_5332930389230140471_n

4 Likes

Who knows? I guess the OPCW will make a statement soon enough.
The Swiss. Inconveniently neutral.

Wikipedia says the Swiss (Hofmann-LaRoche) invented BZ. I’m not an analytical chemist but I confess I’m surprised that this confusion can have arisen. The structure of BZ is published https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-Quinuclidinyl_benzilate. It contains only hydrogen, carbon, oxygen and nitrogen. There’s less information about the novichok-class agents but it seems to be a given that they’re all organo-phosphates. So they’ve got a phosphorus-containing moiety which I’d have thought would have been pretty distinctive chemically. A quick Google shows that organo-phosphates can be sorted out by gas chromatography https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23022238 which is presumably the main technique in use here.

You do start to wonder if whoever did the poisoning wanted to muddy the waters by painting both BZ and novichok onto the door handle (or wherever). If they painted them in slightly different places then it’s possible that some of the swabbed samples might contain one but not the other. That said, you’d have expected Porton Down to have done a very thorough job before the OPCW turned up and thus to have explained to the independent samplers that they needed to make sure they went away with samples of everything present.

If we wanted to frame the Russians we’d just have used novichok. If they wanted to implicate us they might have used something that could have come from the west, as well as the stuff that was going to do the job.

VB

8 Likes

Yeah right, so why not let the inspectors in…

Meanwhile

That is right, we have deported people who had every right to be here. Marvelous stuff, makes me proud. Mrs May only agreed to change her mind and see a delegation of leaders after a letter signed by 140 MPs from all parties and articles in The Sun and Mail denouncing the situation. Evidently she didn’t know about this balls-up despite it being widely reported in the press for weeks.

I found it interesting that last Friday’s attack targeted the Barzeh facility which the OPCW report, published last month, had given a clean bill of health to. See Para 11.

Presumably they realised that as there were no chemical weapons at that location there’d be no danger of causing any environmental issues in the vicinity. Judging by the pictures of people strolling around the bombsite the following morning without any protective clothing, the OPCW’s investigators had done a thorough job. Still, it’ll have played well with the viewers at home even if the headchoppers of Jaysh al-Islam (who we’re for some reason assisting) weren’t too impressed with the allied efforts!

3 Likes

Really excellent short thread explaining the bind that people are in because of the Windrush fiasco and the difficulty providing a quick fix.

Remember it took more than 2 weeks to get the inspectors to Salisbury despite there not being an ongoing civil war in Wiltshire or the city being bombarded by 101 cruise missiles.

That’s because they were all away on leave.

1 Like

Oooops must have tripped… lol…

1 Like

Exactly, don’t recall them saying they were denied access…

I see the Russian journo who reported that Russian mercenaries had been killed by US troops has been found on the pavement outside his flat, unfortunately his flat was on the 5th floor. He had been on the phone to a mate telling him that State police were in his building.

Putin did confirm that no Russian soldiers had been killed but that some Russian citizens had been. There were a couple of hundred of them in total, so not an army at all, nooo Sireeeee.

2 Likes

lol, beat me to it :slight_smile:

1 Like