Beautiful Things

Yes, the same question crossed my mind too. But then I thought that it would probably end up being not a basic hydrostatics problem but a fluid dynamics one, at which point viscous flow would become important. I’m still scarred by three days spent in the late 1970’s trying to get any kind of sensibly reproducible results out of an undergraduate practical that my lab partner chose - the so-called ‘Critical Reynolds Number Experiment’. Talk about complete bollocks - the kit never gave the same answer twice and we were tearing our hair by day three. In the end we boiled the numbers down to extract the tiny quantity of usefulness from them and took our reports to the supervisor to be marked. He said (more or less) “Don’t worry, this never works, if you got any answer at all then you’ll get a pass mark and if it’s reasonably close to the accepted value then you’ll do well”. We didn’t care. We’d learned what we needed to which was that calculations in real-world fluid dynamics are at best a shot in the dark and come a very, very poor second to just building whatever it is you want and trying it.

VB

3 Likes

You seem to have achieved a lot in three days in that respect at least

7 Likes

So then, big pump and a throttling valve :grinning:

1 Like

will this do?

6 Likes
3 Likes

He’ll probably get sacked now for skiving :grinning:

I think I may have bust youtube’s algorythm when trying to find bag pipe music straight after Acker Bilk.

Not sure why this came up in my feed but it is quite ingenious.

That’ll shut our resident hinge-nazi up. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Needs parliament hinges, wank…

1 Like
7 Likes

^ The audience was upstanding! Well deserved.

Little girl never knew what she kicked off. :blush:

2 Likes

Or beautiful places.
No idea if this has been posted before or not, I’d love to stay there.

5 Likes

Stunning photographs but I really love this one

3 Likes

And a nice PID loop to control it.

Actually scrap that, there would be little or no mechanism for feedback.

Ann bought a hibiscus plant in a pot a few days back. This morning a single flower had bloomed - the colour is amazing. Unfortunately the camera phone doesn’t quite do it justice!!

7 Likes

@BobC ??? not just the hat blocks

I notice that plane makers are on that list. Our finest plane maker retired this year, difficult to see anyone stepping up. He made what were arguably the world’s finest planes, even a Hotley block plane was a sight to behold,

2 Likes