OK, had it (Merc C220d estate) now for nearly two weeks and 1,000 miles;
- getting 51 mpg on mixed driving for a brand new car
- much more internal space
- a lot quieter than the BMW 3 series
- much more comfortable seat and driving position for me (6'4").
- more toys, lots more toys
- reversing camera is great and so are the all around proximity indicators
- music system is far superior to the std BMW
- it remembers the settings (hoo-fucking-ray), a vast improvement on the BMW which doesn't.
- you drive more sedately and slower in a Merc, definitely.
- cruse control is great
- handling in the wet is massively better than the BMW.
- my dog loves it.
Not so good;
- new 9 speed auto gearbox is not as smooth, especially at low speeds, as the old Merc 7 speed (seems like a marketing bastard ploy rather than an improvement)
- having to use a key rather then the key being in your pocket, stupid I know.
- as it's new, the bastards at Merc have fucked with the engine to get the emissions right, so it's a bit down on power / delivery compared to the old model I would say. The car feels heavier, more like an E class.
- if you order one, get the bigger fuel tank, as the standard one is too small for long distance in a day stuff .
- the control mechanism in the car is to time consuming and takes too long to process things, Merc have removed a lot of buttons and switches from the new cars to save costs, but the computing power and O/S are too slow.
- engine is definitely not as pokey as the BMW
- your partner thinks it's an "old mans car".