Boring old 'puter kit

can we change the subject line to “Computer Gear - geek city”

1 Like

The tone is too high, allow Mr. MWS

1 Like

roll forward to 2017 - and the consistent stream of computer science students (who really should know better) looking for extensions their final year project, because they have lost a huge chunk of code stored on USB stick or an external drive…it is still equally tricky to recover the data.

omg…Mr MWS inserts himself everywhere…

My Goodness! That’s an Apple IIc she’s got there, if I’m not mistaken!

I used one of those for a while.

A computer magazine I used to get in the 80s, when facing falling circulation, took to having a scantily-clad young lady posting with a computer. Alas Google image search has not been my friend, as I can’t even remember the title.

The technology that fails when you really need it. :grinning:

1 Like

I can only apologize Jim, I have yet to find a way to kill him for good.

With sharp knives at Lopwell? :grin:

I had considered quietly ceasing to be but then I suspect the inner bastard would simply haunt me ‘alive or no’ as the case may be. I fear this is an inside job. I am told the midlife crisis will eventually abate and I will be left in relative comfort with the march of time to contemplate upgrading my power washer and wincing at the rising cost of muffins.

4 Likes

On my comp sci course, the Unix boxes were so overloaded and old (HLH Orions IIRC) that the geekier folk took to writing assignments in PostScript and sending them to the Apple LaserWriter (?) because it was much faster.

TBH I don’t think I could write a line of it now.

I used to maintain the VMS file system, so DEC kit is, or was, very familiar.

I once taught postscript as a programming language ----

Ahhh VMS - now there is something I have no fond memories of…we were told that VMS was a word game and the prize for mastering it was getting to use Unix (we were always taught Unix before VMS so it may have been a matter of familiarity)…but I hated VMS

Ffy

1 Like

Golf.

Golf

G g g g g g g g g g olf

Fu-fu-fu-fu-fu-fu-fu-fu-fu-fu-fucking golfists…

I did my “Computing A Level” in a room that looked just like this.

Dullest post. Like ever. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You sound surprised that a thread titled Boring old 'puter kit contains dull and boring pictures of old computers. Why is that?

3 Likes