Brexit - Creating a Cuntocracy - Now with 4d chess option

I struggle to understand how a department such as this can cost 65million in its first year. But I know nothing of these things. I assume the bulk of that is wages?

https://www.cchdaily.co.uk/hmrc-puts-post-brexit-border-tax-costs-ps800m

Well, staff costs, yes - so wages plus pension plus NI … then you need premises, IT, a travel budget …

It seems they’d got about 200 people on the books by the end of 2016/7 and numbers were rising https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/630475/DExEU_ARA_v4.0_print_version.pdf

VB

Not forgetting consultants, or “strategic partners” as we now call them. The civil service no longer uses consultants in any great numbers

It was a Windscale to Sellafeild esque name change of epic proportions.

2 Likes

It was suggested today that the big stumbling block maybe that the government will also need to trigger Art 127 to take us out of the EEA (and therefore the single market) before March and that isn’t a vote they could win in the commons (never mind the Lords). It’ll be interesting to see if that’s correct.

I haven’t read the whole 70-page accounts (surprise, surprise) but that was my first thought too. However it says in the fine print that while they have used consultants these have actually cost nothing ! They have been supplied on a ‘pro bono’ basis for free. Well who’d have thought the big corporates would have been so generous and public-spirited. Ha, ha (where’s the irony emoticon when you need it ?).

VB

1 Like

"I’m surprised that doesn’t have more signatures given it was started in March!"
Deadline 12 March 2018…all petitions run for 6 months.

And yet on their web page they disclosed some 2 mil paid for “legal services”, which is legal consultancy in any other guise. Without access to a breakdown of their individual staff costs I am still confident in betting my house that a lot of them will be employed via “strategic partnering” arrangements, it is widespread practice these day and avoids the term “consultant”.

dogs are very much this…

I thought that said ‘Fisting Carney’

And fans of a certain outspoken Irish tax exile … and let’s not get started on the amateur bonos …

VB

1 Like

Weird-I was actually trying to link to ‘Boris is a Bullshitter’!

The link seems to change when it posts…

"Boris Johnson was chastised yesterday for the misuse of data. He claimed, again, that £350 million a week could be saved by the UK as a result of leaving the EU. The head of the UK Statistics Authority has described this as a ‘clear misuse of official statistics’. I agree, but what he should actually have said is that Johnson was bullshitting.

In a newly published academic article entitled Post-truth Politics, Bullshit and Bad Ideas: ‘Deficit Fetishism’ in the UK Jonathan Hopkin and Ben Rosamond expand on the academic concept of bullshit that has existed since 2004, saying:

“A lie is a form of utterance that pays heed to the truth. To speak a lie is to knowingly pronounce a falsehood. To bullshit, on the other hand, is to practise a type of speech act that is not triangulated in relation to the truth and which proceeds without effective concern for the veracity of the claim in question.”

They could have written this with Johnson in mind. He doesn’t lie. Like almost all those involved in the Brexit campaign, he bullshits. And please do not take exception to the language: this is now the academically accepted description for what is going on."

This isn’t the fucking wigwam.

2 Likes

Oi! Keep the filthy invective out of here please!

:smirk:

Or dead people with the name Sonny :unamused:

1 Like

It’s a quote from the link that wouldn’t fucking work properly…:roll_eyes:

:+1:

3 Likes

Good. For once I want TM to make a Swiss Style speech

2 Likes