Brexit - Creating a Cuntocracy - Now with 4d chess option

I should just have said that. Aspirational levels of brevity

1 Like

Iā€™m worried about the viability of any Govt. The Canada deal would be hugely damaging as a model for the U.K. as it is almost entirely a physical trade agreement. The City needs a services agreement or their business will be decimated in the biblical sense.

You might hope any change of administration would say ā€˜what a shamblesā€™ and push the pause button to do this properly or abandon it.

Youā€™re just not being sufficiently patriotic, chap. Itā€™ll all go terribly terribly well.

Weā€™re just going to get a Norway, surely? Thereā€™s no other approach. Full membership of the SM and CU, although called something else, full compliance with EU regs, no say.

Itā€™ll be packaged up in some fancy language, and weā€™ll be able to revoke it if we like, but we wonā€™t.

Iā€™m fine with this.

I wouldnā€™t say Iā€™m fine with it as itā€™s significantly worse than where we are. But itā€™s probably the least worst outcome of the current clusterfuck that we can hope for.

4 Likes

Iā€™m willing to bet that nothing will be sorted out by March 2019. Weā€™re headed for the mother of all transitional arrangements unless something truly stupid happens :scream:

1 Like

Under the circumstances a Norway deal will be OK. However I wouldnā€™t bet on that being the end result. I think weā€™ll end up with something worse - the EU have to set a precedent that leaving the block is bad, Norway were never in in the first place. It will take years to sort out.

1 Like

You do realise this is Brexit MK1 and that several smaller ones will follow as things are re-negotiated. This will run for 20 years.

1 Like

Youā€™re barking up the wrong tree if youā€™re after a patriot here mate. Despite a family history of going over the top when the whistles blow, Iā€™m a fucking traitor when it comes to Brexit.

1 Like

4 Likes

I donā€™t think March 2019 seems all that difficult, TBH, as weā€™ll just go over to EEA-type regime until the final deal is agread. Same same. However, given the governmentā€™s current silly position(s) a CETA deal seems the only available post-transition final deal

The government of 2021 however wonā€™t be the government of today. Whether that government has a mandate to say ā€œdo you know, I think weā€™ve fucked this upā€ and stick to a full-time EEA deal, or re-enter the Union, God knows.

I was attempting to do sarcasm. Never works out for me.

Precise and concise

I liked that Barnier, when asked what concessions the EU had made, said that they hadnā€™t insisted that Britain pay the cost of relocating the European Medicines Agency & European Banking Authority back to Amsterdam & Paris. I think he shouldā€™ve insisted on that. Weā€™d undoubtedly have caved in there too.

Brexit so far.

8 Likes

Bloody righty snowflakes whinging

I could probably marry James Oā€™Brien

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-obriens-response-to-racist-brexit-voter/

2 Likes

One show I played loudly at work in the office last year was when a caller complained that the most local school to where he lived was full, but had a prayer room for the Muslim students. Students which obviously do not deserve to be there more than his children.

After James asked the caller several times which school he was referring to, he was eventually told the name of the school and he had one of his producers call said school. They confirmed there was no prayer room, there never has been a prayer room and lastly, there are no plans for a prayer room to be added to the school.

I reckon if I couldnā€™t marry him, Iā€™d at least be able to give him a reach around. I have never heard a radio show presenter do anything like that before and it definitely restored a lot of faith in the human race for me.

2 Likes

Essential listening lately

1 Like

Possibly during a transition period but even if that occurs I very much doubt weā€™ll end up with any sort of full membership as you describe. That depends on free movement of people and jurisdiction of the ECJ. No chance of that with the current crop of politicians and they arenā€™t showing any sign of trying to manage expectation as to an extended period of time itā€™ll take to extract ourselves

More likely the move to trade talks will revolve around practical matters first like ā€˜open skiesā€™ arrangements and the like.

Iā€™d think itā€™s more likely weā€™ll revert to WT rules in 2019 than keep the status quo. This for a period while they work on some sort of deal for the long term.

Will depend a little on how keen the Euroā€™s really are to keep easy access to Britain, our lot will cut off their noses first (rather like the electorate 500 days agoā€¦ you get the politicians you deserve?).

Only light I can see was in the tone of the address by Tusk. Didnā€™t get hung up over Eire and did sound ready to compromise. To what extent, weā€™ll see

Fuck me, thereā€™s a document written by Civil servants and Diplomats. It says nothing and everything all at the same time. This will take years to play out and can only be resolved as part of wider Trade talks, the type of deal they are seeking would have us own and eat cake.

Cake is always good.

1 Like