Build your own 747

I suspect that’s a question of how big is your wallet?

What’s interesting is that the circuit is at least in part responsible for the sound of the thing. The operating points for the tubes are certainly unconventional, leading to higher distortion than hifi wisdom suggests. Which opens the whole Pandora’s box of ‘is it hifi’?

Certainly, my view after living with a borrowed one for 18 months is that it’s very characterful and if you want a neutral sound it wouldn’t be a good choice

Give Mr Nob some credit. Someone has spent a considerable effort actually translating that circuit (normally all hardwired) onto a relatively compact & tidy pcb.

More than I realised tbh.

I for one would like to shake Mr. Nobs hand for his efforts.

Yes, yes it will. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

All that lovely 2HD?

1 Like

Absolutely. Not subjectively as much as an EAR834 phono though. That really was too much when I tried one.

It’s probably just the second harmonic distortion

I remember SPICEing the 834 circuit, and response was all over the place. Not very impressive.

I think it uses the tubes’ capacitance as part of the EQ, which, of course means the response changes as soon as you change tube brand. Not good.

To be henceforth knows as ‘number twos’

1 Like

When are you having a crack at the Nobsound Ongaku then?

I shouldn’t think the idea of offering a kit that encourages people to tinker about with 1000V rails really appeals that much to Nob-San :grin:

Any pics of the cake?

Kondo San Schematic here.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/sound_practices/2/ongaku/ongaku_schematic.pdf

Sod schematics. We want cake.

2 Likes

As a glutton I have naturally befriended ‘Karen’ purveyor of artery strangling sweet treats at our local farmers / foodie ponce markets. I like Karen, she is Queen of cavity educing naughtiness .
Guy resolutely got though his brick in startling time which was of course the mark of a man both firm and fair. The cake in question is a chocolate fudge brownie with salted caramel interior and other assorted challenges to insulin and decency. I have x2 bricks left which I hope will tide my habit over until I can recharge the flagging stash with Tesco’s finest shortbread (I am dual magnetized to this shit as well) I made no attempt to burn off the days excesses and will doubtless be guided by the power of sloth tomorrow. Has anyone ever shopped at one of those ‘big bloke’ clothes shops? I fear fortunes menu has this as the next course

2 Likes

It looked a lot more chocolatey than that & yes I did scoff it far too quickly. Lesson for next time.

I’ve seen that schema many times but the little detail of the 16K output trannies wound with silver and the silver coupling caps keep both me & Mr Nob from racing into production with a £99 version.

One of my back burner projects is to build a Shinri clone. I have most of the bits including some silver caps and would use Tango NY-15 49% nickel transformers.

It’s the same front end circuit as the Ongaku, but with 300B output instead of 211. The Baransu was the all silver version of the Shinri, the Kassai was the copper OPT version with parallel 300B and the Kegon the all silver version of the Kassai.

Apparently the Baransu was the best of the bunch, assuming you didn’t need more than 7W.

Front burner: Dave’s phonostage
Middle burner: My phonostage
Back burner: Shinri clone

:wink:

1 Like