Building Speakers

Every heard or played with any?

I’m also curious, as would love to DIY speakers (same as OP) but as Maureen pointed out it’s risky to build something you haven’t listened to.

No I haven’t, it’s kind of a solution to an issue I don’t worry about much (point source).

I just like to build stuff, I don’t worry so much about if I’ll like it :slight_smile: the drivers do have some resale value, or buy them cheap used on eBay. The 10" mids I used and 18" bass came off eBay for less than half new price.

1 Like

Hello,

Introduction:

I‘m new here. I’m Christof from Germany. Living next to the „world city“ Kusel. In my free time I develop and build speakers for me, family and friends.

Context to the thread:

For the latest project I bought a pair of RCF CX12N351 used from a guy in Graz. Thank you for the good offer again. I know this thread is already three years old but maybe someone is interested in the project and likes to read about my speakers.

My project:

I put them into a 34 cm cube made of 10 mm beech multiplex. I doubled the outer 3 cm with the same plates. I cut that with 45 degree miters and glued that and pressed it with frame tensioners with plastic edges. Then I added four 3 cm stripes to each side expect the front. So I have nine areas on these five sides. I filled each with different damping materials. So every area works different in damping housing vibrations.

I built in two rod holders for PA and rubber feet each on the bottom and the backside of the cube. So it can be used on speakers tripods horizontally or vertically or standing on a platform. For the vertical use I fitted in four metal spacers in the corners of the front baffle. This allows me to put four aluminum pipes with strong 20 mm neodymium magnets inside onto the cube. Mounted at the pipes there is a wooden plate with a cone fixed under it. So the broadcast of the speakers will be 360 degrees.

Chassis modification:

Around the mid-high-horn I added a wooden ring also made of the 10 mm material 320 mm in the outer diameter and fitted to the horn with its inner diameter. I disassembled the horn and mounted the ring from the backside. Put that on again. And the eight mounting screws of the chassis press also to the wooden ring.

So I achieved three things.

1st: The horn is a little bit bigger with this „baffle“ and supported better in the lowest radiated frequencies.

2nd: The horn is stabilized on its outer diameter. Less distortion though.

3rd: the runtime difference between the mid-high and the bass driver is being compensated. That’s because the lower frequencies have to move around the wooden ring more distance then without it.

Room and Electrical Setup:

The cubes are positioned in the back corners of the living rooms rised 90 cm. I used a miniDSP to separate and flatten the frequencies. Preamplifier with a Creek EVO. Amplified with a IMG Stage line STA2000D.

Conclusion:

To me that system sounds very good. Clear and fast. These RCFs are very very good. The 15‘s might be a step better (Martion Bullfrog latest generation).

So far, have fun and stay healthy.

image|281x500

6 Likes

One picture allowed only for new members.

One more…

I have to add: I am no carpenter (unfortunately) and only have homework’s machines.

2 Likes

Silly speakers are always welcome :+1::grin:

The inner „matrix“…

1 Like

@AmDismal I‘m not a native English speaking person. Can you please explain the meaning of „silly“ in your post?
Thank you very much.

Welcome to the forum Christof. Congratulations on your speaker build.

Your first photo from your first post is displayed only as a link so I’ll put it here for you:

1 Like

@hermit Thank you very much.
I think the thing with the link happened while I had to delete four of my suggested pictures and surely deleted a part of the text according to the one picture left.
Thank you also then for posting the picture.

Hello Christof, welcome to this weird dysfunctional forum in this weird dysfunctional nation!

Some

Paragraphs

Would

Be

Nice…

Looks an interesting and unusual build!

@Mrs_Maureen_OPinion Hi, I will rework the text with some paragraphs tomorrow.
Thank you for the feedback :pray:

In the future I will show the whole setup as a 360 degree broadcast. There is a 18“ bassreflex system under it. Ported at the lower sides of the sides. The bass chassis is mounted in the top plate of the box.

8 Likes

Anything that isn’t a boring box is most welcome :+1:

1 Like

Hi, I edited a little bit. Is that what you intended? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Much better! And welcome to the weird end of the hifi community.

1 Like

b0cdcb3e2cf077a2235fa35c0dde1b867dfcb38f

Welcome, Have you vowed to put all trumpeters to the sward?

Perhaps most importantly @mahatma, how do they sound?

1 Like

Nice one. Makes longer posts easier for us old gits with short attention-spans to read and understand :ok_hand:

Welcome Christof.

As well as music, do you by chance also like taking ages of faff to make a hot drink; arguing about seasonal baked goods; sharing photos of your cat, dog, dinner, booze and so on? If so this is the place for you!

4 Likes

If sward is a mistyping and sword was meant. No of course not :slight_smile:
This is just an old family saber. The trumpet remembers me to my father. He left five years ago. He learned trumpet and made examination for the concert trumpeter in the early sixties. Then he began building horn speakers. With this 5€ china trumpet he wanted to have a mould to make a tweeter horn from…. That’s all;-)

3 Likes