Career Choices. Well, that escalated quickly

I read back through some of the posts on this thread last month when I was struggling a bit. It is very uplifting (or maybe I had too much OxyContin). :slightly_smiling_face:

Best of luck @Wayward. You might do well to take that huge and deadly looking set of antique shears you posted photos of into your negotiations in case anyone needs emergency alterations mid-negotiation.

5 Likes

Do you have enough time to knock up a quick vest?

1 Like

Vest is no problem, explosives however…

Just take Jim with you…

2 Likes

The answer to all questions is: “Kill switch” said with slow intensity.

I’m trying my best. I understand how it works on my side of the business. My assistant resigned a couple of years ago and the HR asked me whether they should “do anything” to keep her, I declined as I thought a fresh start would be better. I then got a call from the CD’s PA asking if I was sure that nothing should be done. Because the CD had never actually met my ex -assistant I took this to mean that she was concerned how it may affect me - which may be egocentric but there you go! At a meeting with the HR, It seemed to me that they were not really wanting to replace her, I got pissed off, the CD got involved and after she snapped her fingers a couple of times I got what I wanted.

I doubt the CD would let me leave easily-but you never know- and I have asked for an outrageous amount to hopefully stop a derisory offer. I am sincere in my resignation, I even bought a couple of large pieces of machinery for my own workshop!

We’ll see…

13 Likes

5 Likes

They would be needed if Mr MWS ever decided on a vesectomy…:wink:

A cruel truth

But even if you get what you asked for, the working conditions have caused you loads of stress, and it will still be the same place, or are you able to make them change their working practices, as well as give you the pay rise?

2 Likes

vasectomy

2 Likes

I have thought long and hard about this and have come to the conclusion that money in my pocket will go a long way to help me put up with it, I’m such a whore!
Maybe my resignation will increase pressure from certain quarters if I stay but maybe it’ll get me a bit of respect. Mostly stuff happens because no one really understands the nature of what I do and that isn’t going to change. They are too arrogant to find out and work with it. Its mostly the important clients they get their knickers in a twist over and that is the very thing they are going to find difficult to achieve without me there.

If it doesn’t work out I’ll resign, hopefully with a bit of money in the bank and do my own thing anyway. Whatever, it begins and ends with a worthwhile raise, if that doesn’t happen then I’m gone.

7 Likes

Are your bosses fully aware that, despite any restraint of trade agreement you might have signed, your clients value your work/expertise rather than their name on the label?

Doh, I looked up the spelling, then typed it rong :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes, always do this. It lets them know you mean business and that they have to think in a totally different ballpark to keep you. The biggest mistake is to be overly reasonable and lower your expectations to what you think they are likely to offer you - that’s the wrong place to start from imo.

I think the other point has already been made, that however satisfactory it is to extract and enjoy more money now, the feeling is likely only to last a short while, and then the real issues that piss you off will slowly poke their heads above the surface again.

However in the meantime you’ll have had more money and can still leave if you want to :+1:

Go get 'em :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

I agree with Wayne, this is the right approach. I imagine that just working for yourself will stress you out plenty, as you’ll have to find all the work and it may be a while before you can justify hiring help and getting a London location.

Nothing is perfect, so 6-12 months with a load of extra wonga will always help. It may make them take you a lot more seriously.

1 Like

for BBQ :smiley:

1 Like

…and coffee!

2 Likes

Yes, this is how I’ve been thinking. My working life has never been any sort of utopia, as much as my younger self wished it so. Now I’m older, I’m more flexible and pragmatic actually but also much more sure of my ability. I think I can deal with the job with more money, I’ve been here 6 1/2 years and know how the land lies. Its having my balls busted for nothing that REALLY pisses me off. Little things that were said in my meeting with HR made me think they know there is maybe a bigger picture, even though I made sure I didn’t say anything negative about the company, or colleagues etc and told her that it was all about money; which, with all things considered, really it is.

2 Likes

That’s just lit up MI6’s desk…

4 Likes