Career Choices. Well, that escalated quickly

Seriously, years of boring political and financial in depth analysis, and loud fuzzy “music”…ffs…:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Much of the politics will go when I get off the heavy drugs :crazy_face: or if Brexit is resolved sensibly (yeah right). You are stuck with the rest. At least I won’t be posting drunk, unlike the good old days on the other place.

1 Like

I hated school, after plucking up the courage to tell my teacher what was happening to me at home and her responding by calling me a dirty, dishonest little scumbag and locking me in the store cupboard for the day, I realised that there was nobody looking out for me. I was 5 at that point, I still wish that old witch harm. Shortly after that my pathetic mother finally managed to run away from the old man, we moved hundreds of miles away one morning.
That was, for a long time afterwards, the best period in my life. Away from my constant nightmare I flourished and was a star pupil at my new school, being placed in a class of peers 2 years older than me and destined for early exam entry- until my old man found us. He blamed me for my mothers spark of bravery and did his best to destroy me while simultaneously destroying himself with massive daily quantities of alcohol, a bottle of scotch and a brace of special brew daily, every day. That lasted 7 years and really did damage me. Once the twat died I burst like an over inflated balloon. I was determined that no fucker or institution was ever gonna have control over me again and that feeling and attitude lasted for a very long time.
Drugs, girls and music were the only things I had any interest in. Eventually I met a girl that had something extra and despite my attempts at destroying everything we had together stuck by me and still is. After loosing 2 stone in a fortnight aged 40 ( I was only 9 st 6 anyway ) I discovered that psychological scars were not the only thing my father gave me. Seems he passed on some hereditary nastiness and I was told to go and push the boat out because I had about 5 years left. Twelve years later I don’t seem to have succumbed as expected and my consultant, who I see every three months, says I am a medical quandary. Jobs have been something I have stumbled in and out of, eventually I got qualified and I do sometimes enjoy what I do now.
This place is good, mostly, and I am warmed by the genuine nature of some of ya, no ego stroking you know who you are. On the whole though, I find most forums full of fuckwits looking for flattery.

17 Likes

Reading through these posts makes me think a lot about my kids who are eleven now. Most of the time I am telling them to try out as much as possible, hobbies, music etc, as well as school work. I want them to be unafraid of learning and give them as broad as possible outlook. It strikes me that a lot of young people these days see a goal and want to be there quickly. I am always telling them to enjoy the journey with what ever they are doing and do what they are doing properly.

I have had people under me who will never be able to learn the trade because they dont learn/get bored by method and then when they run into problems they can’t systematically run through their process because it isn’t really there. I am pretty sure this comes from being at college or uni and leaving with a sense of entitlement. They want to be a tailor and have a romantic idea of what that is but can’t be bothered with the nuts and bolts. They either give up early or struggle and bullshit their way if they have that character, without ever really getting it. Having a monster student debt may have a bearing on this…

I am interested if this happens in other industries and whether people think that higher education is a good thing for everyone to do. Learning on the job is what I did but my kids are heading for college I expect…

5 Likes

Jeez, and here was me planning another :rage:

Yep. That was actually the last time I have had more than one drink in a day. If I had known I would have thrown down a few more.

1 Like

Nothing at all wrong with posting drunk, or fuzzy music, or a mix of both. That’s when I operate best.

Cancer vs a fuckin’ annoying, bloody minded, Ozzy psych womble ? Know which my money’s on !

It would have made an (more) interesting train journey :smirk:

He’s not a Shackledragger, he’s a bogtrotter. His Mrs is the Shackledragger.

Eh? That is a souvenir of my travels Mike. You can take the boy out of Dublin but…

:fu:

Thanks for that. I shall deal with you later.

1 Like

ftfm

1 Like

Let’s face it Oxford to Reading could do with livening up. It is tedium by train at the best of times.

1 Like

Lesson learned. It’ll be the last time that I show compassion to my yellow man.

1 Like

After being genuinely touched by what you had shared, I pissed myself laughing at this throwaway sentence right at the end, god knows it’s so true.

1 Like

Compassion? Was that what you were doing? I assumed you were suffering from gas after inhaling that steak.

1 Like

Breathing is good, no ?

Not the breathing end that was causing me concern…

2 Likes

This chap’s been on the blower - he wants his manuscript back :laughing:

1 Like

That’s because many of them no longer stop at Didcot.

VB

1 Like