Career Choices. Well, that escalated quickly

Claire has been my main wife for 39 years. We are 77 days from our 40th.
Our wedding reception including food cost £50. We could not afford a honeymoon as we had maxed out on a house that cost us £11400. Both our parents thought it was all madness and tried to dissuade us.

8 Likes

Are you polygamous then?

What’s the weekend wife called??

2 Likes

Is she aware of your cutesy loved up nickname for her?

30 years tomorrow. I have to wonder about her judgement. Bit late now. :grinning:

11 Likes

You’ve beaten us by a couple of months :+1:

1 Like

Cool what did you do there?

Ha! We walked down the aisle to The Promenade from Pictures at an Exhibition the Keith Emerson extended remix :+1:

1 Like

Just getting to the end of that accounts for the first 25 years of your marriage. :innocent:

9 Likes

Just about long enough for an Emerson dirge if taken at a slow pace.

3 Likes

I’m Just A Lucky So And So :+1: :wink:

I think that song sums it up for me.

I’m sure I could be more “successful” if I compromised my health or relationships a little bit, but I’m not prepared to, and I’ll take my chances

I’m also very lucky with the hand life dealt me. Great childhood with not too much and not too little and parents with relatively few issues. Clearly even then they’ll have fucked me up in many ways, as I’m sure I am currently doing with my 3 kids :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Brave try, but a tortoise with two broken legs could get to the end of that before the music stopped

2 Likes

Terry Wogan (who was married once, for over 50 years) always refereed to his wife as “The current Mrs Wogan”

I was in the building, long after Myford had left.

I making bespoke kitchens and furniture until the bosses ran out of friends. Only so much money to waste even if your parents are on the Rich List. Good while it lasted.

She knows me very well and has fortunately a very good sense of humour.

Been married for 8 years (Together for 7 prior) Language looses it’s luster in attempt to convey how lucky I’ve been in meeting my wife. We took our time having kids but as suspected Mrs MWS is a wonderful Mum and has continued to suffer my immaturity and defective character with zenish aplomb. Our wedding day was on a friends beach in Thailand, we celebrated with a band of Thai Rastas. The first tune was ‘Bamboo Bong and Ganja’ - The look on my family’s faces was a peach, I’d been sober for 12 years at this point.

Life is a lot more settled these days with the focus currently on nappies and trying to get fruit of loin 2 to sleep. It’s been a long road to anything like stable but I’m now happy with life and what I do for a living - I work with my Father in Law and we get on great, unless I’m playing jazz

16 Likes

Isn’t that against the Geneva Convention?
Ah sorry my mistake, that’s prog…

1 Like

3 Likes

Here goes…

It was never really discussed what I was going to do for a job when I left school. It was just assumed I was going to follow in my Dads footsteps into a sciencey type career (forensic metallurgist). Strangely, I showed an aptitude for the sciences and in my school you were allowed to take 3 science subjects for O levels instead of the usual 2 if they thought you could handle it.

During my O level year the family decided to move to Newcastle due to my Dad changing companies. Horrible time to move. Didn’t really try that hard for my exams as was too busy trying to make new friends etc.

The careers teacher doubled as an R.E. teacher and was an utter clown. Back in the early to mid eighties comprehensive schools had some atrocious teaching practises and I was just turned off by the whole thing.

Managed to get 8 decent O levels, stayed on for A levels as I didn’t want to work. Again just drifted with no real direction. Failed them all. Got a real dressing down from parents…to this day I can still remember the sheer disappointment I had caused. Resat them at nightclasses and passed. During that year I still had no clue what if was going to do.

Met a guy when I was climbing who I got on with and he got me a 6 month job in the construction company he worked in. Got kept on…Got my trade…got promoted into management. It was at this point (1996-97) that I became bedfellows with cuntery. Thought I knew it all. I had met a great girl a couple of years before and had a flat with her and her and 2 mates but bolloxed the relationship because I was Billy Big Bananas in my company BM. Split up. I cannot emphasise enough what a helmet I was.

Through a friend of a friend of a friend I got an interview for a company opening an office in Edinburgh. Got it and moved up. Kept in touch with the girl. Took it slow and came down the odd weekend to see her and we married in 1999.

Fast forward to 2004 and I am utterly fucked off with my job. Had clambered up the greasy pole of bid management and responsible for 22 people. Hated it. Decided to pack it in and set up as a plumber doing the jobs you can’t get people to do. Thoroughly enjoyed it and we both moved back to Newcastle in 2010 as we missed it.

I have been fortunate to have met the guy who got my my first 6 month job as I honestly don’t know how things would have been. I am extremely lucky to have met Emma although she is shit at toasting Hot Cross Buns and I am even luckier to actually enjoy what I do now.

Feel better for that, however, it has highlighted a big regret for me in that I wish I had tried harder at school and not got so easily distracted.

15 Likes

Fuck sake…that was nearly as long as Maureens. :frowning:

3 Likes