Coco BTJ-9000

Kimpton this morning.

8 Likes

Some good news - as I canā€™t get >1A regulators on a Sunday morning, I connected a lab supply to the filaments and the hum/noise. :slight_smile:

and the hum noise what? Disappeared?

I think that is were the leccy all went off in his house. Wonder what could have caused it.

1 Like

Oh yeah. Went down substantially. -80dB. Confused myself by putting a wash on - workbench is above washing machine - was wondering why FFT was bouncing aorund, lol.

get the DAC hooked up & have a listen!

Did you sell that lovely voyd?

No, he just hasnā€™t been arsed to set it up since Scalford 2016 :grinning:

1 Like

Thereā€™s a name you donā€™t here very much any more.

Voyds were forum favourites for a fair while, a few years back.

Yes,one of the best sounds i had was from a 3 motor jobbie.

Infact i should of just kept that system,and called it a day.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not how it works though is it?!

No,poxy forums

Blame the Wam.

4 Likes

Still are, there are a fair few around and they donā€™t go cheap anymore

I have 4 of they here atm, my Reference, 0.5 Reference and a pair of regular 3 motor Voyds with different versions of the split phase psu

Lovely :slight_smile:

Why use regulators? Most sound awful
IMHO obviously

Unless theyā€™re battery-powered some filtering is always going to be needed to get the heater supplies as ā€˜DCā€™ as possible. The filtering will inevitably include capacitors, probably resistors and possibly inductors. Regulators can be added to get rid of a great deal of LF noise (including quasi-DC line-related noise) in return, typically, for a much smaller amount of HF noise. HF noise is relatively easy to filter. I used to use fantastically low-noise Wenzel kit at work and if residual regulator noise really is an issue then their ā€˜one transistorā€™ circuit mops it up very well http://www.wenzel.com/documents/finesse.html.

VB

On indirectly heated tube heaters?

Oh DHTs, the yes, the difference between heating methods is marked.

Kondo does just use an RCRC filter and a gyrator, though.

I guess thereā€™s always a bit of h-k capacitance or, heaven forbid, conductance which can couple heater noise into the cathode circuit. Most cathode circuitry is low-impedance so just shunts this noise away.

But I once had a sensitive pre to repair which shared the heater supply between the totem-pole gain stages (so the supply was held at some tens of volts on a resistive divider to avoid too much h-k DC voltage in the upper valves) and the EZ80 HT rectifier ! The rectifier cathode of course had hellish 50Hz noise plus all the harmonics to infinity, and this crept across naturally into the heater supply. Under normal circumstances this noise was shunted adequately to (AC) ground by the divider resistors. But an h-k short in the rectifier had blown both resistors open circuit (they looked fine, but they werenā€™t). When the owner replaced the rectifier the pre worked again but there was now a chainsaw-like background noise. That one took a little while to find. To be honest I noticed that the DC level of the heater supply was not as would have been predicted given the values of the divider resistors and when I replaced them the noise went away.

VB

Indeed but thatā€™s why I have stood the heaters at ~15V and bypassed the bottom part of the divider. That said Simon noted that in his experience the bypass cap affects sound quality. I struggle to think of a reason for this, though.