Coco BTJ-9000

Bypassing the divider would have been the smart thing to do in the pre that I was struggling with (actually spending a fiver on a separate winding for the EZ80 heater would have been smarter still). As far as the bypass cap goes though I can’t think of anything that I’d expect to be significant either.

VB

Having the same winding for both rectifier and signal tubes seems like a very bad idea…

https://www.solo-labs.com/bypass-capacitors-why-and-how-to-use-them/
I am swotting up as you speak!:flushed:

1 Like

Yes

Have been round the mill so many times on this over the years and always conclude that you can hear just about everything in the heater supply, indirect or not. 317T regs sound so unmusical it’s like having an Audiolab. In the end I go for CRC supplies with nice parts as the least worst option, tried CMC in there recently and that seems to help, probably a Mayer style LCL would be better still, but big, heavy and costly…

2 Likes

To be fair, that’s within @coco 's skillset

3 Likes

ftfy

3 Likes

Rebuilt the heater supplies today, they are now delivering the correct voltage and regualting properly.

Was still seeing 50Hz hum on the measurements, so decided to say fuck it and just try it in case it’s a measurement thing.

Plugged it in and HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Then I realised that the shelf underneath had a valve amp with an enourmous leaky EI transformer and it might not be the best idea to put an LCR stage with lots of magnetic components in such close proximity. Duh. Moved the stage 2 feet away and hum gone. It’s dead quiet now.

Listening to Tidal on my phone via the inverse RIAA. It sounds rather nice, actually. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Hadn’t realised this was for a portable system, look forward to seeing the full size version :smile:

8 Likes

I’m waiting for Dave’s verdict, as you’ve forgotten what a decent record player sounds like :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll bring it over to compare to the MWS-2000 and slum it with your deck.

1 Like

Great idea, we could go to Grill Stock afterwards :+1:

1 Like

Or you could bring it to my place!

If he takes it to Jims you can ask for a 25% discount as it would then effectively be ex-dem.:smiley:

5 Likes

Really? That’s interesting. …or maybe second hand?

I want to make sure it works ok first!

:grin:

1 Like

Me too… Not that I could ever afford to extend this pissing contest. :joy:

I thought you said it was ok?

Well, it was going so well and I was enojoying listening until I tried turning up the volume to max, when I noticed a very slight residual hum. I really want to get to the bottom of it, I suspect it might be environmental (i.e. my house/mains). Just want it to be perfect!

Bob’s selling some shakti stones.
Just sayin’…