Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

my sister in law runs and works in an independent coffee shop, and has had extensive Barista training. She did her initial training with one of the well known high street chains. She tells me their is nothing wrong with the training, the cleaning regimes (think food safety and health/safety), but the problem in making the coffee is partly an “I don’t care” attitude, poor supervision, and customers not demanding better. She tells me that expectations in Italy and Spain are very different to here, and the tradition here is to extract for longer so an espresso is slightly larger than it would be overseas. Extracting for longer changes the flavour profile.

Like fish n chips on the seafront, always taste better

3 Likes

even the golden hind in Marylebone can’t match seaside fish’n’chips

I lived in Italy for 8 years in the 1990s - I remember a friend of mine who was a coffee nut wouldn’t drink an espresso in his favourite bar on Mondays. They cleaned & rinsed the machines once a week on Saturday evening & were closed on Sundays. He reckoned it took a whole day’s worth of espresso through the machine (in a busy town centre bar) to take the taste of the cleaner out.

New coffee roasters have just opened in Oakham, Rutland.

Currently trying out a 30g bag of Papua New Guinea, 3 quid. A bit smoky for my taste.
Rwanda (in Zovu) coming up next.

http://www.thebrewandroastco.co.uk/store/c4/Coffee.html

2 Likes

30g? hmmm…enough for two very expensive espressos…

2 Likes

The coffee in Mexico isn’t very good, suffice to say that the best I have tasted is from the Nespresso type machine in the room :roll_eyes:

I agree - you should be looking at 14g ground per single shot

Was a toss up between making into a beverage or snorting

4 Likes

I am having a coffe machine made…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Coco San? :grinning:

BTJ? :wink:

Ftfy.

4 Likes

Are you on holiday?

You should have said. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

MBTJ

Get back under your floorboards :sunglasses:

1 Like

Cancun? Biscuits Obregon. :+1:

Saw a fancy looking bean to cup machine in JL this morning. Seventeen hundred quid.

Tempted?

Bargain. What does it do that a £400 bean to cup machine doesn’t do?