Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

Turkish coffee uses a stone mill, like flour.
Maybe a fine grind in an electric grinder and finish with a mortar and pestle?

This bag was given to me for Christmas, made me get back into the Aeropress and dripper and itā€™s taken me this long to get the grind right! Without the tasting notes - which at first glance look pretentious - Iā€™d have had no idea how it is supposed to taste. They do serve a purposeā€¦
I have to get that Knock grinder though. My Porlex, at the grind size necessary for Aeropress or V60, produces an inconsistent grind - there are larger chunks floating about in there. Iā€™m pretty sure that this leads to a sharpness, as these chunks must under infuse. Filter coffee is a rabbit hole!

2 Likes

Good shout, coffee time! A man of leisure has to fill his days somehow.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve recently had a concerted effort to switch from coffee to tea, simply because I tend to drink coffee with a fair amount of sugar in whereas tea I just take with milk. Itā€™s been a remarkably easy shift so far!

3 Likes

I have gravitated to black tea with no sugar Itā€™s cheap and faff free - Mainly I did it to simplify my calorie counting when I was dieting but its now my habit.

I should imagine, as the beans were roasted 6-8 weeks back, it would taste pretty stale.

I can drink coffee black, but tea needs milk for me (unless itā€™s green tea etc)

A properly made filter coffee, can taste very much like black tea actually but with much more caffeine. Milk and sugar are definitely a no!

2 Likes

Several of you have said the same thing.

Guys.

Really?

This is foo.

If someone has to tell you how a thing sounds, or smells, or drives, or tastes, or how your eternal fucking soul is gonna fare if you donā€™t behave a certain way, then man, that is muthafugginā€™ FOO - right there.

Tasting note: I donā€™t really like coffee, it mainly smells like an acrid wet ashtray full of cigar stubs and gives people rancid scattergun deathbreath. Ew.

1 Like

It is right on the cusp. I only have one hit left thoughā€¦

better make sure you use clean syringe thenā€¦

If you donā€™t like it, youā€™ll never believe :grinning:

Hey, Iā€™m mainly here to spoil peopleā€™s day :ok_hand:

3 Likes

This does it for me.
Knock, Hario syphon, and glass rod rather than the spring filter.

1 Like

Mmm, syphonā€¦ faff level?

Diddly.

Grind a measured level of beans. Fill the base of the syphon with right amount of water. From kettle off the boil.
Get the water to 90 odd (I use a Thermo pen but you can do it by eye just off the boil)
Lob the top half on with the rod in place. Let the water move up. Chuck in beans and after two and a bit mins remove any heat and wait.

Sourcing the rods is the issue. Loads in the US. (All old Cona).

2 Likes

Mmmmmmmmm, cigars :+1:

Fresh bean!

Bought a Knock Aergrind off eBay yesterday too, so hoping I can extract the fudge, green apple and toffee. :grin: @SAP7 have you tried this one?

1 Like

Not sure. I suspect it will be exactly as labelled though. Taste notes are always spot on in relation to the acidity.
Iā€™ve got my vacpot ready for a weekend of good cups. I havenā€™t had any decent coffee for a while so have gout out of the habit.
If the grinder is new it may take a bit to settle. I usually put some supermarket beans through for a week to break it in.

Ah yes, I think my colleague put a few lots of rice through his.

Do you have the Aergrind as well as the original? I am hoping I get the same performance as the Feldgrind and that it is just smaller. I think the burrs are the same and the mech is similarā€¦