Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/staticarchive/3bc3be02e64d4c1f70fff7f3cbe5b813229ba9a3
This is what we drank in the 1940’s. :flushed:

Camp and Izal

Never quite hit the heights of the two ronnies imo

My nan used to drink mellow birds, fucking horrible stuff.

Fully expect it to become hipster approved soon

1 Like

Surprised to see you can still buy it,4squid at Tesco for 200g

Looks like coffee for people that don’t like coffee

That’s any instant innit?

2 Likes

Maybe I am presuming…

But most coffee is roasted light to dark. People confuse strength of caffeine, and light acidic roast to a dark French roast.

Smokey and charred coffee isn’t stronger. The 5 rating is more the burnt nature of the beans than the whack you get from it.

People assume a dark roast is stronger. Often it’s just like comparing a cooking apple to a stewed apple. They are both the same but one tastes stronger.

2 Likes

I have never understood those ratings, I was pondering them yesterday whilst roasting some Yemen Mocha Matari to medium dark yesterday.

At best I assume they relate to roast level.

Yes, they do.

What do you use to roast.

I have a hottop.

Gene Cafe. Have been roasting for about 10 years - although I suspect if the Gene Cafe fails beyond reasonable repair, we shall stop roasting our own.

10 years? They must be done by now.

1 Like

Gotcha, I don’t like the stronger taste.

Could be placebo though. I only drink 2-3 cups at the weekend so don’t order the stuff very often, maybe twice a year.

The Peaberry is definitely the interesting one of the two. It has a really nice piquancy and shows what the system can do with good beans.

The other one is somewhat m’eh. Overall, I’d say these aren’t worth the money as you have to buy them as a pair.

@cobbler fwiwi I’d put the Peaberry at a 7 and the Bolaven Plateu on a 4 on the roastometer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just picked up some of this.

Very nice in a Mokkapot.

1 Like

Even in the grottiest cafes in Spain or Italy the coffee tastes better than any of the uk chain toot.
I e bought coffee home from Spain and Italy and it doesn’t taste the same. I used to blame the milk but then stopped taking milk, could it be the water?

Could be. Or it’s that holiday feeling :thinking:

Water temps? Pressure?

on the assumption you are talking about espresso and espresso derivatives rather than brewed then; grind size, dose, water temp, pressure and extraction time are all variables you need to consider.

I don’t drink much coffee in the UK as it is often awful. I suspect the poor training of the baristas is the main reason for this. If, for example, you do not keep everything scrupulously clean you get very poor tasting coffee. My friend Travis, who runs a very very good coffee shop in Melbourne, was horrified at the casual way the baristas treat the equipment and the coffee in the UK.