Cricket, lovely cricket (Part 1)

Find A reliable 2/3/5 and this team could be immense. :+1:

1 Like

Stoneman wiil go to Oz at 2 and I think heā€™s starting to show what he can do. Malan has done well in this test and the last one and will also go.

IMO Root should bat 3 but he doesnā€™t want to, so we still need to fill that spot. I would give Alex Hales another chance this winter at 3. I know heā€™s an opener, but thatā€™s not a big change. He might be in second ball.

1 Like

I agree with Halesā€¦ I wish Hameed would get in form! :persevere:

Well, he got 77 n.o. against Hampshire in a drawn match

1 Like

Missed that, was that in the last round?

Yep.

He only got 15 today though. Pity really, before his injury he looked great.

Just watched the highlights.
What a great day!
Wonderful to be going into the 5th day with both teams having a chance of winning. Whatever the result this has been a great match for the Windies. To be going home having been totally outplayed and demoralised would have been no good for the Windies and no good for test cricket. Well done their team for showing some spirit and fight.

West Indies have done better in this game but have also let themselves down in the field. The seamers were over bowled yesterday because their skipper has no idea how to use the spinners/doesnā€™t trust them. They were then ground to dust by Englandā€™s late order. I suppose the game is played differently here to in the Caribbean, but they didnā€™t make the most of their opportunities yesterday, either by poor bowling changes or dropping catches.

I hope England win today, so the selectors are more inclined to play a couple of wild cards. I would really like to see Mason Crane ( Adil Rashid is out of favour), we canā€™t go to Oz with just the one twirler. Hales at 3 may be worth a try, although Iā€™d prefer him at five and Root favours Gary Banister :tired_face: who is probably also a better 5.

A close finish in store maybe?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO41972

Australia need to get the highest score of the match in the 4th innings. Doesnā€™t happen very often.

1 Like

Excellent first hour. One wicket and some pretty unplayable balls.

I expect Moeen to collect a few today. He looked very dangerous in his one over last night.

1 Like

Excellent declaration, not sure Cook would have given them a sniff. West Indies now growing in confidence and the game delicately poised, a break through and a few wickets could tumble. The new ball is on itā€™s wayā€¦ On the other hand, the way they are batting at the moment they may get the Windies very close with this partnership.

Excellent to hear the final session on a fifth day with all to play for.

No one has ever made a hundred in both innings of a test at Headingly. Brathwaite 94 not out!

Iā€™ve had to abandon record cleaning to listen to the last hour. As said before, cricket needs a strong WI side and this has been a stunning match.

Looking forward to the decider.

Oh yes they can!

A truly great performance. Congratulations to the WI

One of the most remarkable test wins Iā€™ve ever seen. Amazing.

Roll on Lords!

1 Like

What a great performance!

1 Like

Due to reasons I had to stop the radio before it ended; Iā€™ve been avoiding the internet until the highlights, which Iā€™ve just watched.

What a great game! Iā€™m delighted with the result tbh, the West Indies both needed and deserved it. Fantastic!

3 Likes

Great game, Cook and Strauss would have taken the draw. Great for cricket to have Windies performing well again.

Amazed Boycott hadnā€™t scored two centuries at Headingley.

Not enough time in a 5 day match

9 Likes

I really hope this loss doesnā€™t stop Root making this kind of attacking declaration. West Indies seem to have surprised everyone with their performance. It was the only way England could have won the game and I for one wouldnā€™t have bet against them last night. Seems like an age since there was a test here with a positive result that went into the last session on the fifth day. It really is a fantastic performance from the West Indies. They will be more confident at Lords, England better be ready!

4 Likes