Diet and Fitness

Totally the opposite for me! haha

This is part of the problem I have for strength training - It would be easiest to fit in if I did it when I got up, but it just doesnā€™t work for me.

Combining running and cycling has confirmed my suspicion that working on all-round fitness is more time-effective for my cycling fitness than just cycling lots. I strongly suspect that working on all-round strength/conditioning will make a significant impact as well. Just need to force myself to actually do something regularlyā€¦ and create a long lasting habit

2 Likes

This is the same problem Iā€™m having. I know I should get on it, and occasionally Iā€™m managing to boot myself into it, but mainly since this weather kicked in, my motivation levels for strength training have plummeted. Managing to get out and run a bit, at least.

I went to the gym this morning.
Christ it was hard work dead lifting. Been home for the best part of an hour and still havenā€™t fully stopped sweating.
Nasty.

2 Likes

It is difficult in this heat. Iā€™m just not used to it. Did lower body on Friday and had to sit in the garden to cool off afterwards.

Pissing with sweat. Did this:

ā€¢ 40 star jumps
ā€¢ Rotations- wrist ankle hip knees arms neck waist 4-6 each direction leg swings front> back and side

2 rounds of 12 (supersetted and forgot to rest between setsā€¦ meant to rest 1 minute)

1. Plank (on hands) 25 sec (only 1, not 12!)
2. Single Leg Bridge (arms crossed on chest) L 
3. Single Leg Bridge R 
4. Push up 
5. Prisoner Squat 
6. Forward Lunge L 
7. Forward Lunge R
8. Superman 

Stretches- good morning, quad, calves, hip flexor, shoulders, chest

Going to do this for a bit before introducing pull ups. Work up to 15 of each (and 3 rounds?)

Also got a wobble board :stuck_out_tongue: Canā€™t even stand on it for more than a couple of seconds. Want to work up to being able to squat.

Second time round. 2 rounds, 12 of each again (30 sec plank).

1 Like

Decent day yesterday with a short morning jog (2.5m) and then a ride out in the evening with Hel along the canal from Stourport to Kinver, with the reward being a pint of Enville before heading back. Decent 20 miles.

On the way back the canal toe path was being guarded by gangs of geese. We also counted 4 heron.

2 Likes

Perilously close to Camel toe on the canal tow path.

2 Likes

Freudian slip :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

My bodyweight circuit took 20/25 mins with warm up and stretching.

Plan is to do this for a while aiming for 3 times a week and building up to 3 rounds and 15 reps per exercise (not sure what time to target for plank)

Further down the line, Iā€™ll introduce pull ups and work towards incorporating a kettlebell workout. Going to take it slow though- no rush. Iā€™m also going to continue the mindfuckingly frustrating wobble board.

Sound sensible?

Since this circuit will also be a regular flexibility session- any recommendations for stretches to include?

1 Like

Iā€™d take the KB or pull ups over the wobble board, itā€™s just not very efficient as a form of exercise to build stabilising muscles.

As far as stretches are concerned, unless there an area of specific problem with flexibility and mobility then Iā€™d usually go for hips, shoulders and mid spine in that order. Do you want specific recommendations?

Iā€™m not counting that as exercise, just doing it for fun e.g. while cooking and waiting

Iā€™ll replace a bodyweight circuit with KB circuit, or incorporate as I vary the circuit, once Iā€™ve built up some conditioning with the current circuit.

What would you do for mid spine?

Probably foam roller thoracic extensions to begin with.

oh dear heinz in trouble again over their protein claims

A TV advert for Heinz baked beans has been banned for comparing its nutritional value to a protein shake.

The commercial, seen in February, shows a woman implying a bowl of baked beans has as much protein, fibre and fat as her partnerā€™s drink.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said its regulations do not allow claims that one food has ā€œas muchā€ of a nutrient or nutrients as another food.

Heinz Foods said it was ā€œdisappointedā€ but would not run the ad again.

Iā€™ll bet they also donā€™t say that thereā€™s 5 teaspoons of sugar in a can of Heinz beans.

2 Likes

With a bit more free time at the moment Iā€™m managing to do a bit more. So yesterday I threw a few weights around and did some chin ups, and today I went for a run to try to loosen off some of the DOMS.

Wife is going to hose me down in the garden shortly!

Is that a euphemism?

Can she do me too?