Diet and Fitness

FFS man, I’ve delayed doing anything until tomorrow could you not have waited to post that?

I did try some press-ups seeing as they’re all the rage on here. My wrists didn’t feel good. I have got some of those handle things in the garage which I’ll use if I do any more.

Yes the handles can put your wrist in a better position for pressing.

Yeah that’s why I bought them, much better on the wrists.

I felt like that before, and knuckle push ups actually felt better in some ways, but since I’ve worked up slowly concentrating on form I don’t notice wrists as an issue at all. Dunno what that means, just something I’ve noticed.

It may just be nothing but a few years ago I had problem with the pain all the way to my elbow, from using a mouse at work. I just don’t want to feel that shit again. I actually did them on my fingers by flaring them out and spreading the weight, which was better.

I used to do handstand press-ups (legs against wall) but not sure I’d want to try the weight on them right away to be honest. I should do press-ups regularly.

Horizontal press ups are going to work your chest, shoulders and triceps; handstand press ups are going to hit your shoulders and triceps big time with a greater load.

I’d get some standard press ups in first and practice balancing without pressing if you fancy a handstand press up later.

I’ve always had stronger triceps and weaker pecs. Really need to work my pecs. I did 10, 10 and 6 press-ups and can feel my pecs today! I haven’t had a bench for years though so only press overhead (when I do as upper body is what I usually neglect).

Finishing work at 17:30 (2 hours early) and coming back to train upper body. Can still feel my hamstrings but thinking I might try a lighter set of 20 reps on squats just to get more practice, before a proper session later in the week.

1 Like

This has always been something I wanted to work at but never bothered. I’d love to be able to balance comfortably.

Lots of people find it’s their front shoulder that takes over on bench press and press up.

I use the shoulder blades pinched together cue on Dumbell press to push the chest forward and shoulders back a bit. Then it’s about flexing the chest hard when you’ve got the DB’s at the top. Similar with press ups. If you haven’t got a bench then a cushion on the floor will still give you enough range of motion.

The other technique if you’re shoulder/ tricep dominant is to pre-exhaust. This is where resistance bands are really great. Something like the one below twisted once and looped around your back and your hands gripping the loop at each end- keep shoulder blades retracted and press forwards and really squeeze your pecs, bringing your hands together, then slow and controlled bringyour fists back to your armpits.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91WaPghoGpL.SX522.jpg

1 Like

Ooft. Not sure if it was the turbo session or the half bottle of red and two pints, but I feel done in today…

I had a half bottle of red and a largeish scotch last night and I didn’t do any exercise yesterday. I feel great this morning. Draw your own conclusions … :slight_smile:.

VB

EDIT: And a curry and a portion of rhubarb cobbler with ice cream.

6 Likes

When you drink alcohol the body prioritises breaking that down first, and can mean that it delays or doesn’t bother digesting food and giving you it’s nutrients. Add that to working out and I’d say that you’re dehydrated and have low blood sugar.

Stupid boy :laughing:

So I should eat sugar?

Just going to take it easy on bike today, I’ll take the 14 mile route home but keep intensity low.

Prob wait until tomorrow to attempt 8,7,7 push ups.

It also interferes with the liver’s management of glycogen which prevents the hungry body from releasing sugar that way too.

Pissed type 1 diabetics can go spectacularly hypoglycaemic for these two reasons and, to complete the perfect storm, the symptoms of inebriation mimic the symptoms of low blood sugar so both the patient and the emergency services can think ‘he’s just drunk’, with fatal consequences. Getting seriously trollied is about the most dangerous thing a type 1 diabetic can do (didn’t stop me doing it once in a while, when I was young and foolish, though).

VB

1 Like

I’m sure you meant this but carbs not sugar. A good hit of protein as well…

I’ll get some bands at some point, they look like a good tool.

I don’t have the space to lie down so can’t even floor press at the moment. Also one of the pins in my squat rack is fucked (handle snapped from bolt) so the pins are stuck at my squat height. Like I said I need to get my finger out and make more room. I want a power rack really but that will need to wait.

Going to do my usual exercises tonight but will add sets of press-ups in between using the handles.

Just watch your shoulders when you use handles. The potential range of motion is greater and you can get a great stretch in your pecs at the bottom, but this also puts the shoulder into a weak extended position so that if you are shoulder dominant and try to accelerate out of the deep position it’s your shoulders that have the load.

Not a problem in your teens or twenties; can be the start of a chronic injury in your thirties, forties and fifties.

1 Like

I am definitely a bit hungover

Thanks, will keep that in mind. Really only using them for my wrists so will try not to go too low.

2 weeks into KB routine and hammies very very sore :scream: Its obvious what my weak point is!

Lots of trigger release on one of these is helping -

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71L2k30ZKaL.SL1500.jpg