Diet and Fitness

Had sore throat that got worse throughout yesterday so just did what I could last night. Couldn’t be bothered to change weight too much:

Squat
20 x 40kg
20 x 50kg

Good Morning
8 x 40kg
8 x 40kg

Row
2 x 5 x 40kg
2 x 10 x 30kg

Press-ups
1 x 10
1 x 7

I felt like shit at this point and had to lie on the floor for ten mins when I got back into the house. I feel ill today, most likely worse than anyone has ever felt. Maybe it was stupid to train but at least I got a session in before I felt too bad :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice work. If you’re like me your cold will be worse tomorrow :sneezing_face:

My throat feels better right now but everything else is sore, especially my eyes :frowning:

My in-laws have left a ton of cheese and sausage rolls in our fridge…

That looks fucking impressive to me :thumbsup:

I can actually propel myself off the ground enough to clap before slapping back down ungracefully onto my hands (not face :stuck_out_tongue:)

Probably not at the stage I should do it with any regularity but I couldn’t do that before :thumbsup:

Thanks, I tried some barbell curls at the end of that but was pathetically weak and felt light headed so best for another day.

Bro-curlz, lol :slightly_smiling_face:

Haha, they were good enough for Doug Hepburn :slight_smile:

I’ll bet Doug and the other golden agers got their arms from big lifts rather than curls.

He did a lot of big lifts for sure!

I feel like my willpower needs kicked back into gear. A bit of a blow out last night, lasagne, garlic bread cheese and cake :stuck_out_tongue:

The point I was making is that Doug et al would have built their size and strength to a large extent on compound and classic weightlifting movements, which would have then enabled him to do monstrous barbell curls.

Same with gymnasts - if you watch them compete most have biceps that are bursting off their arms and look like cannonballs - I can guarantee that most of them have never curled a barbell in their lives.

Direct isolation work is fine but it’s the compounds that build mass. Or am I just sick of being in gyms with some prick doing bro-curls off the pins in the power rack with a weight they clearly can’t handle and swinging their elbows forward and arching their back :joy:

1 Like

You’re a very naughty boy but you’ll make up for it :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m a bit torn on what to do cycling-wise on Sunday. I’m going to do a favourite ~60 mile loop that’s a good fitness benchmark for me (and will give me an idea of whether I’m up to doing the main club ride yet), but torn on whether to attempt it on the single speed for comparison with when I last did the route pre-christmas, or do it on the road bike which is probably better from a fitness point of view. The route starts with ~20 miles uphill so a bit of a grind on the single speed. But…I should be getting new wheels for the single speed on Friday, and I want to play with my new toys :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m also thinking that I’m probably due a bit of recovery time since I will have worked up to 3x 1 hour rides mid-week and a 50/60 mile ride at the weekend, so perhaps it’s not a bad time to thrash myself on the single speed for a bit of a jolt to the system before a 4/5 days of easy recovery.

Plus, although I think the single speed is less effective in terms of cardio due to being geared wrong a lot of the time, it’s probably more of a whole body work out, using core and arms pulling on the bars to get up steep sections.

give the man a break on valentines day already :hand_splayed:

Hehe…cocky and tried for 9,8,8 instead of 8,8,8. Failed. Managed 9,8,6. Squeezed out a 7th after a few secs resting in position. Not sure whether to attempt 9,8,8 again next time or 8,8,8?

Form felt good though, and reckon I could have done 10 on first set.

1 Like

Good progress :thumbsup:

Remember you’re training and therefore this is practice - so try not to need to go to failure too much.

Therefore take each little increment you can - and I would recommend that you finish the 8’s first. Nailing 8 on that last set without losing form or having to really grind it out is the platform for 9’s.

I reckon you could do 10 straight now - the other sets are about building up your volume of capacity.

It won’t be long till you can do 3 sets of 10, and that will be a great achievement in a short space of time :muscle:

Went hard on the ride home. It’s taking a herculean effort of will to make do with handful of peanuts and not to gorge on cheese before tea’s ready.

Fell off the wagon today. On a corporate jolly at Towcester races, three courses plus cream tea in afternoon.