Diet and Fitness

Very good!

Chronic pain in my shoulder blades now for 6 weeks - keeps dancing from left to right, subsiding and flaring up. Looks like itā€™s a trip to the physio as itā€™s not going away by itself.

I noticed this morning that Lidl are selling Kettle Bells this week (14 Kg for Ā£14, 10 Kg for Ā£10)

Thatā€™ll be quite a few unprepared folk heading down to the physio or chiropractor fairly soon. :worried:

Inadvertently caused a deer to injure itself on this mornings ride. It ran out startled from undergrowth across my path and got itself caught on a barbed wire fence. All happened at speed and I was slowing down wondering what the fuck i was supposed to do because it seemed pretty stuck (and pretty close to its femoral artery!), but it managed to free itself in the split second I checked the road in front of me, releasing a huge cloud of deer hair that I cycled through.

You donā€™t get that in a gym.

Did a session today after not feeling the cold for a couple of days. My nose has still been blocked and each time I got out of breath the crap that I coughed off my chest was disgusting. Good job I wasnā€™t in a gym and had a bucket in my garage.

Squats
10 x Bar
10 x 50kg
10 x 70kg
5 x 80kg
2 x 90kg
5 x 80kg
10 x 70kg
10 x 50kg

Good Mornings
3 x 10 x 40kg

Chins
2 x 5
The last rep was hard enough to put me off a third set.

Press-ups
1 x 10
1 x 7
Could find the best position for the handles as I couldnā€™t help but go a little further than I wanted.

I really need to focus on upper body more as I always talk myself out of it. I think I might use these bodyweight exercises for a few weeks as I hadnā€™t done them for ages and they are harder than I remember.

1 Like

Ha ha itā€™s usually the other way around! Guys tend to train on the thing theyā€™re good at - your squat numbers out of context of height and weight look very respectable indeed, itā€™s what youā€™re good at.

Bodyweight exercises are great though for building up a good foundation for loaded push/ pull movements.

1 Like

My numbers are just my numbers, as if I look around at others I will be disappointed :slight_smile:
Iā€™m 5ā€™8" I think and 10 Stone. 39 years old in April.

When I was a teenager I did Judo and my sister did Gymnastics so we always did bodyweight exercises in my house. I liked dips as I would test my pain barrier on my triceps and would do fingertip pull-ups on my bedroom door frame (always been light).

Iā€™ve only really lifted weights for short periods and just found all out low rep lifts more enjoyable, like seeing stars from deadlifts and stuff but bench press etc just didnā€™t give me that.

Anyway, this time I want to stick at it mainly for health so will make sure I have a more rounded program, and hopefully I might end up looking better in a t-shirt :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the word really!

Well I did a 6.5 mile rather brisk walkies on Saturday, my legs ache a bitā€¦

4 Likes

good effort :thumbsup:

1 Like

The more you do it the less they ache.

Your dog will love you for it.

1 Like

Having gradually increased my cycling over the last 3 weeks I am having a rest/recovery week. Iā€™ll take the shortest route to and from work today and tomorrow, and take it as easy as possible. Iā€™ll walk on Wed and then Thurs or Fri Iā€™ll probably take the 1 hour route home but not thrash it. Plan is for low intensity turbo at the weekend. Then next week Iā€™ll start with the volume I was doing on the 2nd week of the last block and on the 3rd week Iā€™ll have worked up to doing a slightly longer ride on the Sunday (~70 miles). Hopefully at that point I should be back to being able to do the main club ride (~60 miles in summer).

I wasnā€™t far off the main rideā€™s speed on Sunday, so it feels within reach (but not there yet)

I hope so, I must embarrassingly admit that I havenā€™t walked (at reasonable pace) that far in quite a while!

It was good, enjoyed it.

Bear in mind the bleedinā€™ obvious that shorter walks at the same pace at higher frequency would be better than the occasional long walk :thumbsup:

Bleedinā€™ obvious taken on board :sweat_smile:

Haha, dog looks like heā€™s just about ready to set off :joy:

1 Like

Yeah but she slept for 4000 hours when we got back, to be fair she probably did 20 miles running about like a nutter :laughing:

Our vet is great and has always given good advice and treatment to our various cats and dogs over the years. He made a point a couple of years back of having a difficult conversation with us about our dogsā€™ weight, which despite miles of walking was still to his view, in the obese category. We changed their diet and feeding habits and then watched the weight fall off both of them, and in doing so added years to their potential life expectancy.

Works for owners and people who donā€™t have dogs too! Which is in part the whole point of the thread.

Thatā€™s what this thread is good for! Writing it on here is like therapy and you can clearly see what you want to put right.

1 Like

Yep, its not about what youā€™ve done or havenā€™t done, its what youā€™re going to do next thatā€™s most important :slight_smile: