Diet and Fitness

Well at least you have just got to improve on that kind of start! :joy:

1 Like

Well Iā€™m just about back to the routine I hit, a year and a half ago, before life became mental and I lost my focus a bit. Now managing free weights/body weight for approx 1.5 hours, every second day, and running between 3 and 6km on the days in between. A bit of yoga here and there, but Iā€™m just not disciplined enough to practice properly on my own, so I aim to get in Thursday evenings at a yoga studio in Exeter, as thereā€™s two excellent classes back-to-back. That should do me, if I can stick with it, I reckon. Rest days will just factor themselves in, with stuff that takes me away from home, which just happens anyway.

Be sure to get to Stuartā€™s bake off & stuff your face with mince pies. Itā€™ll give a purpose to all that effort!

2 Likes

In my humble thereā€™s either too much volume/ not enough intensity, and perhaps your rests between sets and exercises is too long. Or perhaps youā€™ve got cardio in the same session as weights (never really optimal).

I was seconds from having my bone shaved and open shoulder surgeryā€¦ saved by a very clever prof who found a way to manage the Issue by getting cortisone to the right area (Iā€™d had 3 lots already and in the wrong places)

Itā€™s more repeated blows from rugby, and nothing is going to make it better.

My brother had his bone laser drilled to make it bleed to try and accelerate healing. He has the shoulder of an 80 year old now, after a life as a PE teacher.

My joint is beyond most mitigating exercise options and is more just worn out!

Oh fuck, definitely need to avoid load and high impact upper body stuff then.

Just finished Legs and Abs day - I have just lost a full litre of sweat :sweat:

10 sets of goblet squats is great for form and mobility but Jebus it hurt. Which idiot thought of doing deadlifts after that???

Shaking, and doubt Iā€™ll walk down a set of stairs for a whileā€¦

This is rapidly turning into the ā€˜Fit for nothingā€™ thread :astonished:. Still ā€œWhat doesnā€™t kill you makes you strongerā€ as they say ā€¦

VB

This all sounds like an awful lot of hard work.

3 Likes

Pain is just weakness leaving the body :+1:

Shoulders and arms yesterday.

10 sets of overhead presses and 3 sets of dips, curls
and some lateral raises.

Legs still very sore from Wednesday.

Iā€™ll bet youā€™re good at dips, gymnasts usually are. Years ago I went to some conditioning classes ran by Craig Heap (he trained in the same Gym as my sister for a time), I saw how crap I was when watching him do stuff.

1 Like

Dips are the upper body squat as far as Iā€™m concerned (as are pull ups). If you understand the technique to hit chest or triceps then you can look after your shoulders too.

Iā€™m building back up to doing weighted dips and ring dips (and then weighted ring dips which require incredible strength and control). When I was 16 I could do 20 ring dips with another gymnast holding onto my legs and applying more load.

1 Like

Sad, but I used to finish my heavy upper body workout with dips as a warm downā€¦
And do as many as I could be bothered with as a way to ease off. Iā€™d stop when i was bored.

I struggle to do any these days!

1 Like

Wasnā€™t sure wether to like that comment or not!

I have a bit of shoulder pain when Iā€™m run-down, which Iā€™m sure is going to hurt later in life, but itā€™s mostly fine at the moment. Really hoping I can build it up enough to still work later on.

@Pan
Mobility and building up the soft tissue around the joint could help. If youā€™re interested I can signpost you to some sources of info on the types of movement and use of resistance bands etc. In short it works unless youā€™ve got a tear or mechanical injury to the joint itself.

Week 2 of GVT - feel pretty up for it still and the only thing that still hurts from week 1 are my legs - mostly quads and hip flexors - these are a classic weak point for people who spend a lot of the day driving/ sat in meetings etc.

1 Like

Do you have a training partner or coach Wayne? Just wondered.

Iā€™m afraid due to my working patterns and training split between hotels and home I havenā€™t been able to take advantage of a training partner or coach for some time.

I had a gymnastic coach till I was 18 who I learned a great deal from and still apply, and about 2 years ago I used to get coaching from a GB powerlifting champion who has set up a gym nearby - lots of technical advice on the big lifts etc in return for holding a gymnastics class.

Nowadays I keep ā€˜up to dateā€™ by reading what the latest coaches on line are doing but in reality its variations on fairly established themes and cycles of fashionable training fads. Probably the best thing to come out that actually has value is the focus on mobility training as championed by Kelly Starrett - I like his philosophy that human beings should be able to maintain themselves in good condition and that suppleness is the key to musculoskeletal health (Ming Chew is another proponent of this as a way of avoiding surgery which despite what surgeons will try to tell you, has relatively poor mid to long term outcomes).

Other than that I have a good sports physio who works with the powerlifters and she provides me with deep tissue massage every 2 weeks and pointers on posture etc.

Iā€™m interested in all good information, so yeah let me know anything you think might help. Application is my problem really though and I need to try much harder. When I do train it tends to be around 11pm so I just get in and out. Will need to sort a better timetable really.