Diet and Fitness

2 sets of 4!

2 Likes

Is it a minute rest between chin up sets? Now I can do 4 is it worth trying to work up in the way I did with push ups?

Planning on giving bouldering or climbing a shot again next cycling rest week in a months time. Should be good with a months extra worth of weight loss and upper body strength

1 Like

I would say yes and do them first, when youā€™re fresh. I alternate between them and like it so you could give that a go also.

1 Like

Agree with @Pan - if you want to focus on pull ups do them first. Your press ups are great so keep it up but Iā€™d stick at refining and squeezing everything out of your 3x10, perhaps reducing the rest rates slowly so longer term you can do 30 straight.

Iā€™d do pull ups first, 60 seconds between sets. Donā€™t pull to failure on the first two sets and leave the fight till the last set - if your form or range of motion suffers stop and do 2-3 very slow negatives instead (10 second plus to lower yourself).

The other option is to superset: do one set of pull ups, drop down and do your first set of press ups, rest 30-45 seconds and then start your next superset.

Pull ups can be hard to jump straight into - what usually happens is your back muscles wonā€™t fire and they leave all the load on your biceps which will then fail early. One approach is to warm your upper back up using resistance band rows or some light ish bent over rows and really focus on pinching your shoulder blades back and moving your elbows back. Basically youā€™re trying to wake your lats and rhomboidal up but not fatigue them too much.

1 Like

Wifey dragged me out for late night swim last night, just managed to get in the pool for the 9-10pm session (straight after the v fit ladies only swim had finished at 9 :smile:). Dragged myself through 66 lengths in under the hour - wife managed 80 of course in the same time.

1 Like

Have decided to put my name down for the Chesterfield half marathon :grimacing:

Going to try to raise money for Mind at the same time so expect a thread shortly begging for sponsorship :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good effort. Iā€™ll sponsor you.

Trying to identify a challenge to raise money for charity myself.

1 Like

Iā€™ve told a few people that Iā€™m going to enter - this is what I got back -

1 Like

Thatā€™s what merits sponsorship :wink:

I was never particularly comfortable getting sponsorship for merely letting the hair on my face grow, but i was happy that trying to live on Ā£1 a day for a week and barely managing 1000 calories a day justified it :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™ve been asked about the great north run before but no way do I fancy it.

You will need to be in a state of zen when running and all will be well.

Mind have a number of sponsored events but the GNR was already subscribed. Maybe next year depending on if I survive the Chesterfield run.

Maybe the resistance band exercises would be a good way to wake up back muscles?

One thing I noticed is that at the point I could do a single chin up, I couldnā€™t do a pull up. Now Iā€™m able to do a number of chin ups I can do a pull up (I only attempted one, it was still noticeably harder than chin up).

Soā€¦Iā€™m thinking, build up chin ups before moving to pull ups?

My plan longer term is to get back to bouldering semi-regularly once Iā€™ve got a base level of upper body strength

Whereā€™s that?

:wink:

Good one - Iā€™ll sponsor you too

1 Like

Iā€™ve learned all manner of ways of attaining zen and putting pain somewhere else as a gymnast. Problem is that 70 seconds of a rings routine is a lot shorter than over an hour of running.

1 Like

Just do it in 45 mins then, sorted!

2 Likes

I used to do halves before my hip began to disintegrate (not caused by running). But I think a half is a fairly manageable challenge for anyone with a modest fitness level. A full marathon is considerably more difficult & would require far more training to complete it without walking. I wish Iā€™d done one while I could have although I actually doubt I could have spared the necessary time training for it.

1 Like

Finding a good one is the problem, They can mostly talk convincingly.

Yup. I had experience of one of those before I found my current one. Heā€™s got me to the stage where Iā€™ll only need to see him if I need rehabilitation from an injury due to accident for e.g. A genuinely smart (and nice) guy. Part scientist part detective

1 Like