Diet and Fitness

Upper body day.

Chins ups 7 sets of 3 reps, supersetted with ;
BB bench press, 7 sets of 10 reps

DB shoulder press - 2 sets of 11

Bit of rehab work on LH shoulder, trying to stretch out the infraspinatus with a hockey ball.

2 Likes

I tried to do push ups yesterday and just couldnā€™t. Seemā€™s to consistently be the case after epic ridesā€¦donā€™t know if itā€™s general fatigue or whether the amount of climbing means that Iā€™m tiring out my upper body and core. Anywayā€¦ thought Iā€™d try running to work today. After brisk walk to warm up I started running and thought I wasnā€™t going to be able to carry on for long at all! I warmed up and was ok- did the 5k, at a slow/steady pace. I didnā€™t bother recording it, so no idea what pace i did. I actually think Iā€™m not going to bother timing my runs going forward and just run.

1 Like

Not sure if this should be a separate thread, but any recommendations for good running music?

Alsoā€¦good running headphonesā€¦

I use a pair of Sennheiser neckband headphones that cost Ā£40ish i think, will find out spec this evening. Recommended by others based on the fact that they actually stay in place whilst your running. I have been happy with them.

Music-wise, I have found that for the slower pace running I am doing (circa 7km/hour), more relaxed pace stuff works for me, kind of becomes a bit meditative, currently listening to Bon Iver last album and new War On Drugs. Might not have the same effect for you!

Got me through 10k yesterday, for the first time.

Found that all the upbeat/motivational playlists on spotify just annoy. Serious runner friend at work swears by listening to podcasts instead of music, going to give that a go.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got some running playlists Iā€™ll find a way of sharing later, but it does depend on what youā€™re trying to do - I need to run more slowly than my natural pace so tend to avoid anything too upbeat and pacey otherwise I keep having to slam the brakes on!

1 Like

Did wonder if there was a section here for sharing streaming playlists, much needed.

We do share some steaming ratā€™s piss but itā€™s mostly from Terry in the AAAC thread.

3 Likes

:rage:

1 Like

I have eaten an obscene amount of biscuits and chocolate over the last couple of days.

Thatā€™ll be your CNS telling you to fuck off!

1 Like

Yeah. I really enjoy the ā€œchallengeā€ rides but they need to be kept as a treatā€¦too often is definitely counterproductive. See the post above about biscuits and chocolate :stuck_out_tongue: If there wasnā€™t tons in the office, the veg and protein snacks would stop me seeking it outā€¦but, with it sitting thereā€¦

ā€¦and Iā€™m meeting a friend for pies and beer tonight

Ah well

Itā€™s all going in the right direction. Even the epic rides only leave me feeling like relative shit for a day maxā€¦most of the time I feel fucking awesome.

Iā€™m really looking forward to being in the shape I am nowadays when the new baby comes. For our last two I was at my fattest and least fit, but the main problem was the back pain. A new baby will always be tough but I undoubtedly confounded things.

1 Like

looks like theyā€™ve gone up in price, shop around maybeā€¦might be a newer model now

Came home quite angry after first day back at work so walked in, got changed and knocked off 3 tough sets of squats with 2 sets of deadlifts sandwiched in between.

Not angry anymore, just damn hot :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Quite sore today after yesterdayā€™s 10 mile run out :grimacing:

That sounds serious, how long did you take? Took me an hour to run 6 miles on Monday, so 10 seems a very long way at the momentā€¦

1 Like

10 milesā€¦fucking hell :stuck_out_tongue: good going :+1:

Whenā€™s the actual event?

Did you get over your injuries ok?

1 Like

I prefer to think Iā€™m merely between injuries :grimacing:.

More details on event and training runs here -

Soundtrack yesterday was LCD Soundsystem ā€˜sound of silverā€™ on the way to Bewdley, and then surprisingly Smiths ā€˜Hatful of hollowā€™ on the way back - some nice fast pace tracks that quickened my pace for a bit (what difference does it make etc).

1 Like

Legs seem to have recovered from the long run. Hips however are agony :scream:

Upper body stuff having recovered from hangover and done something useful with a paintbrush.

Chins - 5 sets of 4 reps with a minute rest
Barbell bench press - 3 sets of 10
DB shoulder press - 2 sets of 12
Tricep extensions

Lots of stretching this morning to try to open up hips after the long run. Probably go for a short 2 mile run tomorrow morning to try to loosen things up.