Diet and Fitness

How do you breastfeed a cow whilst running?

3 Likes

A little run out today - 5 miles hillyish cross country @ 9mins 26 secs per mile. I have reduced my time for this route by over three minutes this month. I have registered for another 10K (a flat one this time) on December 10th and hoping to shave a fair chunk of time off from my prior best 10K effort.

Update: My diet is now fully complete and after nine months hard effort I now weigh 12 stone and half a pound and have a BMI of 24.6. Next up is to improve my stamina and to help that I will probably join a gym.

4 Likes

I couldnā€™t get out for a ride last weekend so went for a ~7k run along the canal by us (so pan flat). Until the end of the year, Iā€™m going to try and run ~30 mins/ 5k, 3 times a week with 1-2 days rest in between and back off on the cycling, since I canā€™t really count on doing that consistently other than my commute. Will be disciplined and run at easy pace to build up conditioning.

Got out of the habit of push ups- but can still do 3x10 with 1 min rest so still better than I started the year with. Did another couple of sets of 10 to make 50. Can still do a couple of chin ups but lost strength there too.

Fighting off a looming stress spiral at the moment for various reasons, so ending the year in better fitness than i started this year, and not getting as fat as I did last winter is my main goal at the moment. Appetite and willpower pretty shit at the moment, but still on the same belt hole for now :wink: Need to get it in check.

Struggling a bit with knowing what gear I need to wear for running in different temperatures. When i was in Canada i knew exactly what I needed to wear for all temps down to -10 but that was ~10 years ago.

I wondered whether Iā€™d still be able to do a 2 hour ride last night given that Iā€™d ran on Sat and Mon. Short answer- no. Ended up having to make an emergency stop at a fucking McDonalds for a hot chocolate and a small pack of fries. Going to try and go bouldering or climbing with a mate next Tues evening, since I generally have Tues evening free to do something- something different but still active.

2 Likes
1 Like

Ugh, massive hamstring DOMS from upping volume on deadlifts. Oh the fucking pain :sob:

1 Like

Despite saying i wasnā€™t going to ā€œtrainā€ and I was just going to run, curiosity got the better of me and I wore my heart rate monitor on my run this morning- an attempt at a steady/long run. Felt pretty good and pace held steady relative to my heart rate for the full distance which I think is a good thing. Itā€™s along a canal, so very flat. Thatā€™s the 3rd run this week, and not felt any muscle soreness of note

Training zones above are calculated for me, not general

Iā€™m resolutely not going to get hung up on ā€œperformanceā€ but is that a reasonable pace for a very flat route?

1 Like

Looks pretty good to me - 9 min/ mile is a good pace, but the fact youā€™re at 165bpm means that its well within your fitness level and youā€™re coasting. Good stuff. 4 miles at that pace and Iā€™d definitely be sore the next day!

Thanks- that base training article recommends a run like that, and fartlek run- the group run I do at work is reasonably hilly so probably ticks the fartlek box, so I think gradually extending my flat steady run, and doing the group run (+ another ~5k run at a steady pace) is probably a good way to build up conditioning and progress gently?

Ignore me I just fucking injure myself all the time trying to run :man_facepalming: :roll_eyes:.

The donā€™t try to add more than 10% rule to distance and/ or speed from run to run is worth following though if you want to build up gently without risking injury.

Wellā€¦Iā€™m already a bit concerned Iā€™m doing more than I should be i.e. just because I can run 4 miles at that heart rate, maybe I shouldnā€™t be.

Why are you concerned? Your fitness carried over from cycling is serving you well. If youā€™re not sore, and your heart rate is in zone 2 then its all good.

I guess because I have in my mind that it takes time for ligaments and tendons to build up conditioning, so perhaps the carry over of fitness from cycling carries a risk of injury

Iā€™m not overly concerned- Iā€™ve built up steadily and have run once or twice consistently for the last couple of months, and built up distance, and that was off the back of a lot of walking over the year.

I am also moderating my pace- and I think following those base training principles should help mitigate risk of injury

I want to loosely follow this base training consistently for a couple of months- then go all out on a 5k and see how fast I can do it :stuck_out_tongue:

My cycling is total poop at the moment for some reason. Leading the club ride on Sunday and donā€™t feel up to the paceā€¦

Understand. But youā€™re running 3x per week and not getting sore, so as long as you donā€™t suddenly start trying to run 8 miles at your 4 mile pace, or trying to run 6 days per week, you should cope fine. Stick to the 10% rule and your body will adapt okay.

1 Like

Had a short 2 mile run today largely to test out the calf and also to try to shake off the hammy DOMS.

Will be trying out a new weights routine this week too - 3x full body workouts (ABA), 12-15 rep range, fast tempo and more set volume.

1 Like

did 50 push ups 5 sets of 10. trying to get back into the habit

1 Like

Wow thatā€™s impressive - way more volume than when you started :+1::clap::clap::clap:

Decent session in the gym this morning after a 5 day break due to work travel. Full set of heavy exercises and still managed 25 bw dips at the end to burn out.
A few days off every 3ish weeks is probably a good idea for me moving foward.

2 Likes

Keep toying with getting some dipping bars at home, ideally Iā€™d like a pair that you can hide under/ behind sofa like the rest of my gear.

1 Like

I did the first 3 sets with 1 min rest then another couple of sets later on

1 Like

Pleasantly surprised this morning. Was a tad apprehensive about leading the club rideā€¦Iā€™ve not really been feeling great on the bike recently and itā€™s been a few weeks since Iā€™ve done a longer ride. Plus, felt a cold threatening yesterday, so Iā€™d lined up someone to take over if I really wasnā€™t up to it. No problem in the end, and did a decent amount of time at the front :+1:

Did 50 push ups too

1 Like