DIY Hifi Rack (Redux)

:thinking:

Looks like a nice job though!

The really messy stuff is over and done with now, so can work in the conservatory and not have to dodge the weather.

Not having a workshop area is a bit of a pain. I would probably have it done by now if I had one.

I keep meaning to buy a big shed for all the push irons and camping shite that is jamming up the garage so that I can make it into a work area of sorts.

Did you make the horse as well?

Lol! I wish.

We have a company not far from me who make them. I spent a very pleasant hour or so in their workshop watching the process - very interesting. I just wish I had the skills, any skills with wood.

That one is made from a single, solid piece of teak. It must have been absolutely massive because even the legs are carved out from it. It also weighs a bloody ton and now the girls have outgrown it and moved on to real horses, it is, in effect a great big, in the way, ornament.

Not allowed to sell it though, reserved for possible grandchild duties, which are hopefully many years away…

That must have been some task. The ones I saw were made in various pieces and then put together - they still looked very good though, and commanded high prices. Horses, wooden or real are bloody expensive - I know! At least that one doesn’t need feeding, cleaning, shoeing, dentistry, vets bills, blankets, more fecking blankets…£££

Ours are in a horse share scheme, they do some of the mucking out and grooming at the weekend, and we pay about £40 a week towards the running costs for as much riding as they want. Works out about the same as an hours lesson each a week. The lady they share with is :heart_eyes: and I do have a thing for posh totty in jodhpurs… So it’s a fantastic arrangement!

My mates ex had horses, one of them used to like destroying its blankets on a weekly basis for fun, at ÂŁ30 odd a pop.

That teak rocking horse wasn’t that expensive compared to traditional English ones, they can go to 1000’s, I think I paid about £300 or so for that one.

£300! The ones I saw were a lot, lot more. As for the other nag, the kids have now gone and no longer have an interest in such things (unless it’s daughter No1 who likes to come racing with me). Mrs Malbec, on the other hand, must have a horse otherwise she would go mad. The cost per year would be enough for me to have a pair of Heco Direkts evry 6 months!. Still, it makes her happy and that’s good enough for me - even if I still only have a pair of Goodmans 201s

1 Like

More progress! In fact, it’s just about done, bar a quick sanding, a run of the router around the top surfaces of the shelves and a couple of coats of Danish oil. Say an hour or so of work altogether, albeit with a day between oil coats.

Amazingly, all but one of the legs llined up to allow its spike to locate in the head of the screw in the shelf below, so I just unscrewed it, lined it up, re-drilled it and re-screwed it in place. It’ll be at the back of the rack so won’t bother my OCD.

16 Likes

That looks very serious, nice job!

1 Like

Cheers!

It’s bloody massive though, I know this sounds stupid, seeing as I measured it all up and everything, but it’s hard for me to visualise stuff…

I think Claire will try and restrict it to 3 levels rather than 4, but I think a reorganisation of my listening room will mitigate it’s effect, whilst allowing my Triangles a bit of room to breathe.

Quite chuffed with myself. :smiley:

2 Likes

I had a unit built for me by Stump furniture. I used a cardboard template to make sure I had the footprint correct, but was still astonished at how massive it was when it got here.

1 Like

That’s a bloody good job, looks just like a Hifi racks podium unit but minus the silly price tag.

1 Like

All you need to do now is buy an amp that is too tall!

I’ll just make/order longer legs for a shelf. Piece of piss to swap them out, now I’ve worked out a short cut…

Can’t believe how much the likes of Hifi Racks charge, considering they have all the tools and pay trade for the wood. I reckon they could easily knock one of those out in an hour, plus the oil/varnish drying time.

Obviously they have to include their tooling costs, but I strongly suspect they don’t just make hifi/AV furniture, so I bet that’s offset quite nicely elsewhere.

Haven’t totted it all up properly yet, but my version is comfortably under £300, and if I’d got a decent amateur level workshop it would only be about 4 hours labour. I’d ramp up the quality of the worktops though, rustic/farmhouse grade is ok for me, but there’s a bit of filler in there, so not great for retail, wouldn’t add too much to the end cost overall though.

There you go Bob, you’ve got a free run at Ricks Spectral now, he wants shut…

Claire said it’s great :open_mouth: and she said I can rearrange “my” room (Ha! That particular illusion evaporated as soon as I was convinced to put a telly in there…) :open_mouth: and I can even put up some framed record sleeves.

I don’t know what she’s up to, but I am going to feel some pain in the near future, I just know it…

2 Likes

Ahahahahaha, last time that happened to me I got way to fucking close to buying a caravan.

Nice rack by the way:+1:

Thanks Bob, obviously nowhere near your skill level, but I really enjoyed it.

Caravan… Actually, she has been saying how much of a pain putting the tent up is…