DIY Hifi Rack (Redux)

1 Like

Monday mind torture

2 Likes

All finished, and in its new home :slight_smile:

Claire has declared it ā€œniceā€. I think she had designs on one of the levels becoming a coffee tableā€¦

19 Likes

Lovely :+1:

Looks great :+1:

Tip top :ok_hand:

Thatā€™s the dogs (literally) - great job :+1:t2:

Impressed. Nice job.

Feckinā€™ showoff with the impressive DIY skills and professional looking DIY rack. Mā€™ehā€¦

:disappointed:

1 Like

Nice! :+1:

Very nice job!

Sā€™awrite :wink:

Looks great - well done! not sure about the wallpaper thoughā€¦

Hi redux , a few questions for you , if you dont mind , i have the oak worktop

Fire away mate.

sorry about this im new to this forum , what did you use to cut the wood , is it 40mm and oak , how deep does
them inserts go into the legs , is it the type with a spline and 8mm thread , i have a track saw , circular saw
and router , i was thinking that the end grain will be hardest to cut , both my blades are freud 48t , cheers phil.

1 Like

Yes Phil, itā€™s 40mm oak, I used a bog standard circular saw for the rough cut, then trued up with a router ( see up thread, I assumed that the worktops had been cut square at the factory, they hadnā€™t been and I ended up with parallelogram shaped shelves, so double check before you cut), I have a fairly hefty DeWalt router with good quality cutters so got a pretty good finish on the end grain, didnā€™t need much sanding, but if your saw blades are sharp and you can cut straight I reckon you donā€™t need the router.

The legs I got ready cut to size and with a planed finish from eBay, search for oak turning blanks and a few sellers will turn up, and I guess will all be willing to provide that service.

The inserts are about 10mm deep, with an M8 thread. That was actually the hardest bit, getting those exactly central.

Good luck mate, keep us posted on your progress

Bloody hell! One and a half Hi Fi racks in one tenth of a Rabski (the international standard time measurement for DIY Audio). This is impressive productivity chaps (which is a first around here).

3 Likes

Hi Rob998, Im very new to here. I stumbled upon it searching hifi racks. The rack you built looks great, exactly design im after, just wondered if you could help with material sources ie butcher block tops / oak leg supports / spikes / inserts leaving internal threads on legs. Where you bought the gear is really what would be helpful. Im struggling in particular tops pre cut, im looking at 1000x400x40, 40x40 legs, inserts, spikes ā€¦ I know hifi racks sell them but way way over priced!! Appreciate any help you could give. Cheers much app.

Hi Bob, I got the worktops from Worktop Express

I got the rustic grade oak 600x20x3000. Make sure you check them for squareness because mine were cut slightly (about 10mm) on the piss at the ends and I didnā€™t check and had to square them up with a router after I cut them.

Funnily enough I bought some higher grade ones recently for our kitchen and they were the sameā€¦

The spikes and inserts came as a set from Amazon, I got some that had ball feet rather than sharp points, and the big Torx screws from Screwfix iirc.

For the legs I I looked up Oak wood turning blanks on eBay, messaged the seller telling him what I wanted & he cut and planed them to size. I wish Iā€™d asked him to drill the holes too, because some of mine werenā€™t quite centred. Also wish Iā€™d ordered a few longer ones too because my big 70ā€™s Sony amp and my Arion valve amp need a bit more room.

It was quite an easy thing to build tbh, just like a big heavy flat pack once you cut the worktops.

3 Likes