DIY ultrasonic vinyl cleaner

I always do two wettings/scrubbings/extractions on the Loricraft. The first with the cleaner (Art du Son or similar), then with RO water to rinse.

I might look at a Velvet Vortex drying solution in the future but not enough time to look into that just now.

I have not had major issues with air drying and will be making a Velvet Vortex drying rack soon and other accessories to help when using the cleaner.

There are some vac solutions with platters smaller than record labels to help eliminate cross contamination the Karcher window vac idea could work but I’ve not had a chance to try that. It would need something to protect the surface of the record before it would be effective.

Rinsing is good to do and definitely has its benefits.

I have in mind a cheapo aldi drill and put the carbon rod into the chuck and spin it in a bucket when it comes off - would that be better than a hoover set up as not touched by anything and cenrtripetal force doing the work - also fits nicely with the VV approach as record already mounted and ready to spin

Just played the Rubber Soul record that I had previously written off. It sailed straight through the area where there had previously been thick gunk, and as I said before this was a solid piece you could easily feel running your finger over and about 3" long by 1" deep. Still loads of crackles but then I only cleaned it using tap water, a splash of wetting agent, some alcohol and a squirt of fairy then just left it to dry.

Now to work out the correct solution - any experience yet? It must be a different mix from that used on cleaners like the moth as the cleaning process is completely different.

Any idea what the gunk was Mick? 50 yr old jizz?

Some record libraries recommend a solution using something called Tergitol, which is pretty difficult to get hold of in domestic quantities over here.

Try soaking the area in warm water with a pinch of bio wash powder?
Not sure how it is on plastics though!? Great for food in pans!

No idea to be fair but there is a strong possibility resin of a Moroccan origin was involved - it was a reddish brown colour :thinking:

I have seen Tergitol mentioned - currently using a wetting agent suggested by Tim @Spider
https://www.ilfordphoto.com/ilfotol-wetting-agent-product

My concern is the mix. Most refer to spinning cleaners / vacuum devices which you layer a little on rather than a bath that could froth up! Also, the former can be made in small quantities whereas the Ultrasonic uses nearly 5 litres which needs to be stored - often you will only want to clean a couple of records.

Getting the right mix, rinse and drying routine will provide a really great result in my opinion. I’m lucky in that I’ve already got the Moth to give the rinse and dry.

Must be a fucking big moth and well trained :wink: