Driverless - would you dare?

My smartphone was stolen. I bought a cheap “dumb” phone to tide me over. Now I’m not sure I’ll go back. It’s nice not having the option of doing stuff (whether work emails, or just looking up random shit) all the time.

2 Likes

I’ve eaten a kebab whilst sober before, so I am well up for giving a driverless car a go.

I’d want it to look like my current car, though.

2 Likes

Always had a soft spot for Dudley Sutton.

Here he is in the probably accidentally homo erotic classic, Leather Boys.

http://www.roadrunner.travel/wp/wp-content/uploads/service_articles_6104_357907.jpg

1 Like

Sutton appears in this very good programme about Joe Orton.

To be honest, I was surprised to learn that he was still alive.

1 Like

He was nothing if not versatile

VB

2 Likes

Worth a watch…

2 Likes

Forget driverless autos, I want an R2-D2 to take care of such mundane tasks.

As long as you could turn it’s cunting volume down :+1:

Thread necro alert…

1 Like

Ape shall not kill ape.

1 Like

1 Like

I can’t believe that Tesla get people to spend £7k on the driverless options tbh.

1 Like

Well to be fair, the article makes no attempt to distinguish what system was enabled when the crash happened.

Autopilot = TACC (traffic aware cruise control) + lane keeping
This is included in all cars, no charge

FSD (full self driving) = Autopilot + automatic lane changing + Smart Summon" + Autopark + Navigate on Autopilot + FSD “in the future” is the £6,800 option and is not worth it at all, especially in the UK where it operates under different regs and can’t do some of the things the US version can.

Has it got a DR2000 option? :grinning:

Aircraft software has a relatively simple set of calculations to perform and it costs lots of money to develop and test. It’s written carefully, tested extensively and updated very conservatively (Boeing excluded) as the aircraft changes slowly over its life.

Car driving software has massive complexity to handle and will have less money spent on testing because car and software firms can’t afford to spend the time and money on it. The cars change every year and there are many many variations

Boeing’s MAXX is what you get when you try to do safety software quickly and cheaply. Do you really trust GM, Ford, VAG to behave differently to Boeing?

Google and the others use machine learning to teach the system so it’s impossible to test it, to know what biases it contains and what hidden weirdness awaits exposure when rare conditions occur. This is the same industry that made soap dispensers they didn’t recognise black peoples hands.

But even if they fix that lot, the risks posed by a hacker getting into the traffic network full of autonomous cars is astronomical.

I’ll take my chances with meatsacks in the hot seat for a good while yet

Anyway, it’ll never happen in the uk - we can’t afford to lose the speeding fines

1 Like

Bah, it’s nothing @AmDismal and a raspberry pi can’t sort.

6 Likes

I fear who ever named raspberry pi “raspberry pi” is a twisty Heston fanboi.
Who the fuck wants a soggy mush Raspbery pie? Cherry Pie, Apple Pie these things can resonate deeply but ‘raspberries’ are simply inappropriate

can’t believe you didn’t go down the cream pie road.

disappointed

2 Likes

Raspberry turnovers. Raspberry strudel.

1 Like

I’ve had the displeasure of neither. Long may that continue.

1 Like