eBay stuff (Part 1)

Afraid i don’t have any pics,though just found one and there is a you tube vid or 2.
I really liked the arm although it took a while to get used to.
I used various carts,but mainly koetsu.

Setting up i found easy although others said it’s hard.Not sure what they struggled with,unless i was missing something obvious.

If you have more than one deck it is ideal for moving about as the cable comes out the back and not through the deck.They are very well made.

Think i sold it on ebay for £800 a couple of years ago

This was the vid that got me the camera job on Blue Planet 2

7 Likes

It’s only massy in the horizontal, where the resonanse is much lower so it doesn’t matter, behaves like a linear tracker in that regard.

1 Like

I’ve always found that piece of music to be comically sinister. I can imagine it would accompany your long cold nights in the shed keeping vigil to ensure the wind and or neighbors don’t steel the fabled astro turf.

1 Like

its music to steal muffins to

1 Like

Fxt

2 Likes

Anyone had one of these?

Look at this on eBay:

Weiss DAC2 firewire d/a converter 24Bit/192 kHz.

Seems very expensive for a pretty old dac and I believe many people say the Weiss is very bright and ‘hi-fi’ sounding, though never heard one myself.

I’m super impressed with the Audiobyte Black Dragon dac I got of Jack (cider-pig) for £750 (2nd hand) , which is about as cheap as it gets for a fpga dac. It’s has a really well balanced sound.
It even has a really tranparent volume control so I use it as a pre into my Densen power amp.

2 Likes

This ^

1 Like

Another one bites the dust. Will keep looking thanks chaps, also read good things about the audiobyte, might try get a demo

Any view on how it compares to the Oppo Sonica, or the North Star that you had a while back which I really liked?

It’s cleaner sounding than both the Oppo and North Star but not bright or overly forward.

The North Star was rich and smooth but a bit syrupy, though I prefer that to uber detailed (PS Audio Directstream for example which was ghastly).
I remember I took it to Ian Russels and compared it to his Meitner - it sounded very veiled and slow in comparison, though the Meitner was a bit too detailed and forward for my tastes.

The Oppo was more neutral though still on the warm side, and with the built in streamer is terrific value, but if you already have Sonos or Auralic for streaming then I think the Black Dragon is the better dac.

2 Likes

That’s a great help. Also looking at Aries/Sonore to replace my Mac as a source, so the Oppo seems good value.

I don’t like them. If you like that overtly etched hifi sound it could be a winner.

no such thing - you’ve paid for all of the information on the disc, but you don’t want to hear part if it :thinking:
fool.

I don’t this I’ve heard a DAC anywhere near as wank for the money as the PS, it just flings shit at you like an angry gibbon.

4 Likes

Are you referring to the Oppo? At the mo I have loaner dddac and an audiolab m-dac. I would say the m-dac has the ‘etched’ sound, but not on an annoying level.

Want to avoid angry gibbons, but also don’t want a bloated manatee. Actually think dacs would be more interesting to shop for if animal references were employed. You’re onto a winner there Wayne, would also make reading reviews quicker and more interesting, instead of descriptive waffle just throw up a suitable pic

2 Likes

No. Look at the post I replied to.

Ah, got it👍

@Ijrussell