eBay stuff (Part 1)

Yes, it would certainly comfortably drive the Direkts and Dreiklangs too :+1:

No need, should hopefully be a @coco NAGAJODBCML LCR phono incoming later this year :smile:

4 Likes

Has he stopped vetting his punters then?
:grinning:

2 Likes

I spoofed your email address to order it and got a reply asking if those incontinence pants have made a difference :wink:

3 Likes

That orders fucked then . When he checks my credit rating you’ll be lucky to get Chinese poly never mind foo bean cans :grinning:

Are you getting the miniature wood burning stove style casework?:smiley:

Nope, gold knobs, snakeskin and green velvet for me, I has the class.

4 Likes

I hate that! Looks fussy and contrived to me. I don’t like the wood, or the way the curves are asymmetric, or the way the pic is over-exposed to make the metal look somehow different. I think its a disaster and built for waf rather than actual hifi. We are all different :grin:

1 Like

More hair-shirt for you Ritchie? :grinning:

Mmm yes, I should imagine that has WAF too, if you’re a Russian lesbian

Most of the lesbians I know have much odder tastes, unpredictablably/inexplicably so in some cases.

:thinking:

3 Likes

Sorry-haven’t got my eyes in

Not completely. In the mid-50s there were at least three reasonably distinct EL84 PP amp architectures:

Mullard 5-10: Pentode input stage, LTP phase splitter, pentode output stage
Leak Stereo20: Triode input stage, LTP phase splitter, ultralinear output stage
Osram 912: Pentode input stage, common cathode + concertina phase splitter, ultralinear output stage

I can’t find a circuit diagram for this amp on the interweb but there are some pictures in this piece 6moons audioreviews: DIMD PP-10 Stereo which reveal a few details.

First (obvious) thing to say is that they’ve not provided a distinct input stage. We often don’t need one these days because modern sources provide ~20dB more output than some vintage ones. Furthermore this amp only has 6dB of global negative feedback, so they haven’t needed to provide loads of open loop gain with a view to ‘spending’ a good chunk of it on NFB.

At the other end of the amp it’s clear that the output transformer TGL 20/002 INDEL - Transformer: speaker | 20VA; Sec.winding imped: 8Ω; 0.03Ă·15kHz; TGL20/002 | TME - Electronic components is an ultralinear one and it does seem to have been wired as such. This will help them deliver decently low distortion without resorting to bags of NFB. The downside of the shortage of NFB is the relatively high output impedance (2.8ohms) which might start to colour the sound if the speakers aren’t well-matched to the amp.

So that just leaves the phase splitter. To be honest I can’t be sure about this. Tracing back from the caps which couple to the EL84 grids it seems that on the input side one of them is connected to a junction with several resistors. These include a 33kohm (or maybe it’s 22kohm - the colour pics aren’t great and my eyes are old) to ground and a 2.2kohm to one of the triode cathodes. This would be absolutely what you’d expect with a concertina splitter. But that’s really the only bit of evidence I can make out, so I wouldn’t want to bet my pension on it.

VB

1 Like

It’s a dreadful picture and the overexposure’s my fault for trying to get it to stand-out at-all - the timber’s actually oak!
But meh! Styling’s subjective and I like everything except for the fact that it’s twice the size it needs to be!
Far too much hifi is needlessly large!

except speakers, natch, they never can be
 :grin:

2 Likes

And here was me thinking it looked pretty discrete due to not having massive transformer housings sticking out of the top.

1 Like
1 Like

Yes you are right, it does look pretty discrete in a pussywhippedteasmaid kinda way. It just doesn’t look like an amplifier. :grinning:

3 Likes

The Russian Lesbian in my mind was pre Glasnost.

2 Likes