eBay stuff (Part 1)

IMHO the best speakers rega made

These look good value?

He’s got two sets for sale. I’ve just bought a pair. Thought I might have a go at OB with them. This will be my first attempt at trying to construct something/anything since about 1975 in woodwork class at school. What could possibly go wrong!

I think they will be DC65LW or DC80LW

Generally ones with the higher QTS are best for OB

Thanks. If I had any idea what you are saying I could come back with a meaningful comment, but as I don’t…

I’m thinking of a very simple OB (as simple as possible) as I really have very little skills when it comes to this sort of thing - hence why I bought them cheap so if I fuck up it won’t be too bad. This will be my first time doing anything like this, so I’m hoping I can do it without a visit to A&E

1 Like

I try and keep mine simple - I buy L and Tee Brackets and use plenty of short screws
I get the big cuts done in the shop - Routing out the hole is the most difficult bit -

I think a 12" driver on its own will not give very much bass, but it will tell you if the OB idea works for you.
I have had the most sonic success with large baffles. If you can have each speaker 6’ x 3’ that would be good and simple.

here are some snaps of my current ones

As expected, of course, given that the bass from the back of the driver creeps round the sides of small baffles and cancels out the bass from the front.

VB

Thanks for the info. Not sure if I can get away with the 6’ x 3’ though - SWMBO would have a fit. Max height would be about 3’ and , I guess, about 18" wide

It’s the baffle size that’s important here.

Bigger is most definitely better.

1 Like

If I go with the dimensions above, what size should the sides be? Also, looking at a lot of designs on t’web there seems to be some with side panels, some without, some tapered, etc. What’s your experience with what would work best for me.

Ad, your pics show you screwing the drivers from the rear - others show from the front, some rebated - or is that just for aesthetics?

It’s not too critical - If you are hacking the hole with a jig saw then it’s going to look better front mounted

Understood. Any idea about size of side panels?

The side panels extend the effective baffle size - and can also help the panel to be self standing.
Having side panels deeper than the baffle is wide is likely to spoil things…

I would suggest you make your front baffle and fit drivers for a test first before deciding on side baffles
If need be clamp the panels to a chairs so you can experiment with position and sound - This will help you decide if a side baffle adds value.

I think you may well need a subwoofer if you do - i have a real strata tatty but fully working -£50

http://www.phy-hp.com/diy.html

Some good examples of OB’s.

1 Like

I think the issue of side panels is more complex than the basics of dipole design. If you want an idea of how complex the basics are then there is some maths here Electro-acoustic models.

VB

This is why sealed boxes are the best. It stops the bass creeping out.

2 Likes

Aaaaaaaaand … wait for it, wait for it …

(oh, hang on, he’ll be at work still).

VB

Gents - thanks for all the advice. Really appreciate it all.

At the moment I’m not too worried about a sub - though that may come in the future. Right now it’s all about whether I can build something without breaking bones or spilling blood.

When I used 15" Eminence alpha 15a drivers in open baffle (with sides about 40cm deep) it certainly didn’t need a subwoofer