eBay stuff (Part 1)

I don’t need these but I want them a lot

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Klipsch-La-Scala-Speakers-good-condition-bought-from-Klipsch-direct-not-a-kit-/112199345014?hash=item1a1f9a2376:g:8hsAAOSwKOJYI51y

1 Like

I had a pair many years ago and would have another…in a different house.

To quote a friend:

"PWK developed the Heresy and LaScala during WW II when he worked for the Army munitions in Hope. They were intended to be used against fanatical Japanese defenders in caves and bunkers but the Army decided the use of the Heresy against the Japanese was inhumane and decided to use flamethrowers, gasoline and satchel charges instead.

Even though the Army decided against using the Heresy-Scala weapons system in it’s drive across New Guinea and into the Philippines the Navy did consider the system for Marine Corps use in the Navy’s Central Pacific drive. But Admiral King, always jealous of Navy prerogatives in the Pacific War, decided against using a weapon developed by the Army.

Patton, in late 1944 while his Third Army was bogged down reducing the fortresses of Metz, asked the War Department for the Heresy-LaScala system but since the system had not been put into production he had to wait while an effort was made to cobble a few together (by this time attitudes toward the Germans had hardened considerably over those of 1942-43). Before the Heresys reached the European Theatre the stalemate at Metz was broken and the war entered it’s final highly mobile phase with the breakout across the Rhine and into Germany; a mode of war for which PWK’s weapons were unsuited.

“Bomber” Harris, the brutal and ruthless head of British Bomber Command, heard of the Heresy-LaScala system and wanted to fit Lancaster bombers to drop over German cities loads of Heresys fitted with miniature vacuum tube radio receivers tuned to a station in London that would broadcast Gilbert and Sullivan songs. He thought this would strike a bigger blow against German morale than the firebombing of German cities. His vision of a thousand bombers over Berlin releasing hundreds of thousands of Heresys screeching “I’m the very model of a modern Major General” is terrifying indeed. Unfortunately for Harris the best British electronic talent was at work on radar and Enigma and the engineers assigned to the program soon fell out arguing whether the Heresy sounded worse with single ended or push-pull amplification. This squabbling torpedoed the development and the scheme was dropped."

6 Likes

Yep - of all the speakers I have owned the Khorns are my most missed.

Those La Scalas are a bit pricy, the seller is a private dealer and sells quite a lot. Never liked them in black, a bit depressing. One memorable moment with La Scalas had me nearly buying a pair about 5 years ago. One day, but not in black.

The Heresy speakers are bloody awful mind.

Yes black is shit and yes pricy if they were nice wood and £1K I would probably buy them.

Yes, I like the light wood ones or the bare birch ones.

This^^^

Pair of speakers I’ve not seen before, look interesting, just down the road from me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122225912708?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Take care: Think it’s only one speaker

Thanks for the warning, but I’m not buying them, just looked interesting.

Agreed. And a good price too. Pity about the missing speaker though - could have been an interesting listen

Right well how I understand it it seems to be a single ‘stereo speaker’.
So just the single unit, but you feed it the left and right channels to get your ‘stereo image’.

:flushed: Perfect for an iPod then

Like the 16A horn :slight_smile:

Maybe it could be the start of an ‘eBay system for buttons’ room at the AA show!

Me wanty

I could never buy anything off the scamming b’stards as you know they have bought it for half what you will pay.

Not sure about that, I think he operates on pretty tight margins. I don’t buy from him these days because my system is pretty settled but when I did, he wasn’t exactly a millionaire! Just as he has a reputation for high prices to punters, I reckon he has a reputation amongst the dealer network for taking things on and moving them for a small profit. So other dealers sell to him with just enough room for him to make a profit if he sells at top dollar.

Do you get very cross in supermarkets?

6 Likes

No, because they at least add some value in bringing the products from all over to you and they make on the whole, small margins.

These scammers bulk buy hi-fi and then double the price with no added value.