eBay stuff (Part 1)

I love the way that dealers in new kit are allowed to make a mark up, but ones in second hand kit aren’t. Despite having more support issues, I would have thought, and probably having to have the kit serviced.

1 Like

I do, because they’re full of knobs like Bob.:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think there’s a big difference between the price offered and the price paid in any case. I’ve bought one item from him and it didn’t take too long to get him to a reasonable second hand price and then do a deal.

It’s a free market, so you if you don’t like the price then negotiate or move on. The price he paid is immaterial as it is any other market. Markets only bear prices and margins that are backed by buyers in the long run.

2 Likes

This is quality. Be sure to scroll down and check the description.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282271434212?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Are you lost? Trolling from Hi-fi Subjectivist are we now?

Not a member there Bob. I do like reading the paranoid ravings of the good doctor though. Gives me a good laff.:smiley:

Not entirely fair. If you are in the car park before the next Audiojumble (mid Feb, and it will be dark and very probably cold and/or wet) you will find Nick there with the other dealers and the private sellers. He does make the effort and his time and fuel and entry ticket do have to be paid for. I take it we will see you there, also on the lookout for kit at the best price ?

VB

3 Likes

The value is they have what some people want. They pay Tax / VAT incur overheads, staff, premises, marketing etc. Some have years of knowledge / experience and take the risk to speculate combined with the skill to sell.
The entrepreneurial approach is not valued by some but others are glad of them - that’s capitalism.

The image doesn’t really help work it out!

I’ve sold a few things to Nick and never seen him mark them up by more than 20%
But if he did, why not?

I have dealt with Nick both buying and selling always thought I had a fair deal and he was honourable. His eBay prices look high. He has been around in hifi as long as I can remember - If he was a real shark that wouldn’t happen.

Maybe his eBay shop is there to tempt you into a dialogue, and he’d prefer to have you as a customer rather than just make a one off purchase

FWIW, I work at a local music shop part time. The owner buys 2/h instruments and PA eqpt. He aims to buy as cheaply as possible and to move it on for as much as the market will bear. Buyers who are prepared to haggle can get some very good deals. OTOH I have seen him make some killings out of idiots both coming and going!

I have just bought a couple of things from Nick and yes I probably got a little less than I would on Ebay for stuff I part exchanged, but it was hassle free, no fees and I could demo the gear I bought.
The guy is very helpful and I would buy from him again.

5 Likes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222331870393?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

1 Like

Hope you’ve put a bid on.

No tubes. That’s a lot of money for some old cinema amps.

1 Like

I would love to be in a position to buy these.

1 Like