eBay stuff (Part 1)

I have one of the older style Vertex platforms and it works really well with my CD spinner. I was quite skeptical, but as it cost £100 I thought I would give it a go. Sits nicely with the Shakti’s and the foo cables.

2 Likes

:nerd_face:

6 Likes

Really, really want this.

It’s hideous - so should fit right in.:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

effin hell Bob, that even goes beyond Cheshire taste! :flushed:

2 Likes

Note the date and time: Bob likes something without gold, onyx or chrome.

rusty sherriffs badge you sit on?

2 Likes

I have one of these, they are bloody great. This is the best version.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micromega-Duo-C-D-3-and-Micromega-Duo-pro-D-A-C-/253115090805?hash=item3aeed5c775:g:2D8AAOSwkRpZoCTa

I am looking to upgrade my DAC, anticipated looking at the usual suspects of Ayre QB9, Auralic Vega, DDDAC 1794 etc, should I consider this in that league?

1 Like

I really like the DDDAC. The latest DAC board version has most of the DIY improvements built into it.

There are a few on here who have bought the Border Patrol DAC (http://www.borderpatrol.net/DAC.htm). This is a NOS DAC like the DDDAC but is based on the earlier TDA1543 chipset.

Ayre don’t sell the QB9 any longer.

1 Like

Read good things about the BP, compared to the DDDAC would be a simple plug and play solution for someone who can’t solder! Are you using a streamer at the moment Ian? Looking at options for that too. Change of speakers has kickstarted a complete change…

Don’t have space, don’t need, wouldn’t get permission so can someone please bid these out of the range where I would think about them?

3 Likes

I’m not using a streamer but when I was, I was happy to swap over the coax between sources. There are a couple of people who will build DDDACs for you - Chevron Audio and AD Audio (The AD Audio DDDac – AD Audio Handbuilt Valve Amplifiers and Dacs).

1 Like

Thanks Ian, having read what you and others like crimsondonkey have to say about the DDDAC I’ll go for it. Got to sort amp first…

Better than a Plinius 9200?
Look at this on eBay:

Musical Fidelity kw500 integrated amplifier with full JS Audio Upgrade

You could do far better for £2K.

2 Likes

That’s my budget for pre/power or integrated. As I need something with 200w plus there doesn’t seem a lot around at the mo

Why do you need 200w + ?

Just picked up some Dyn Contour 1.3se, most users suggest plenty of power to get the best from them. Using Quad 909, which does a fine job so Looking for a step up. Big integrateds by Plinius, Levinson, MF are rated with these on Audiogon.

A good power amp like a Gamut would probably be more flexible, as I would like the flexibility of trying out a few valve pre’s.

£2k budget makes it very simple - buy a used mint Karan KAI-180.
Might need to be patient as they don’t come on the market all that often but it’s way better than anything else I’ve heard at that money with astonishing bass control.

2 Likes