eBay stuff (Part 1)

The Silbatone room had Frank’s turntable/arm with a Tsar DST (AFAIK) I realise they are a copy of the Neumann and I wonder if there’s much difference in the sound.

Time to buy a lottery ticket :star_struck:

Have you heard one?

Massively expensive for what it is. I’m not sure that it’s any better than the Panasonic originals which can be had for considerably less.

It lights up, what more do you want?

2 Likes

Yep, heard one about 7 years ago in a phantom arm on a walker TT.

Even made the carpenters sound good :slight_smile:

Still massively overpriced. Not that particular sale, just that cartridge in general.

Agree, it’s a lottery dream, I still think my £900 koetsu was fucking expensive.

Was that with those horrible Green Mountain speakers in Manchester?

No it was at the clearaudio distributors house in or near (I think) Guildford

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Purist-Audio-Design-LUMINIST-SYSTEM-ENHANCER-System-burn-in-CD-/352141995350?hash=item51fd4c6d56:g:NTQAAOSwPCVX2wkN

When a simple CD on repeat won’t do.

in my quest to find a new amp (which is becoming frustrating), saw these which are rated Class A on Stereophile, and as I can’t seem to get hold of a Gamut D200 or equivalent looks like a good option…any Bel Canto users out there?

http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=Bel_Canto_e.One_REF_1000M&p=power_amplifier&prod_id=48889&offset=

I use a CD3t transport, which I like a lot - trounced my previous Micromega transport.

I haven’t heard the amps, but if the CD3t is anything to go by they may be worth a look…

1 Like

Avoid is my advice, but get to listen to them if you are keen.

1 Like

Annoying thing is I know what I should be going for (Gamut/Plinius), but the S/H market seems slow at the moment, just a case of waiting I suppose.

Contacted a guy selling a Plinius 9200 on eBay yesterday, asking for the usual history and demo - flat out NO, so I would have to be willing to drop £2100 on an amp I know nothing about. Not doing that.

Other option at the mo (sorry if this is getting wearing, feel free to tell me to bugger off):

Agree with Bob - avoid. However I am quite a fan of the older (much larger) Evo models.

1 Like

two strikes and their out, thanks chaps.

You are spending £2K, go listen to something in your system or take your speakers to the amp seller. Having never owned your speakers, I can only guess at what will work.

To echo what was said earlier, if you are swapping to high-ish effiency speakers sometime, wtf are you doing buying a 200w per channel amp?

It is much easier to find a high quality 40-50w amp.

I have heard lots of so call monster 200w+ amps, and quite a few are really wimps when driving real speakers. Similarly, I owned a 2A3 7W valve amp that could easily drive ‘difficult’ speakers.

3 Likes

Yep, pretty much what I am discovering.

Probably going to keep hold of the Quad 909 (and try out a B1 buffer or DHT Pre) for use with the Dynaudio until the right pair of efficient speakers becomes available, as the lower power amps are far more appealing.

Didn’t quite reckon on the speakers having such a stifling effect on amp choice, don’t say I told you so…

You seem a bit too desperate both to find an amp and to get others to approve your choice.
Play the field and have fun is my advice.:+1:

Lol, are you having ‘fun’ Mr Box Swapper?